Public Folders - implementation & Usage

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
DaRam

Public Folders - implementation & Usage

Post by DaRam »

Well other than this first comment, I'll not continue to beat the dead horse that Public Folders suck in ME.

Besides that, there's just no guidance in any of the documentation other than turn them on.

Using the Outlook Connector a "My Folders" thing comes up, but then you can't share anything because it complains that the "Administrator" is disallowing sharing.

Besides that, where is the "Public" folder? Using the IMAP connector I can subscribe to the "Public" folder and put stuff there, but no visibility when connecting with the Outlook Connector.

If I could get the stupid Public folder thing working with some kind of consistency and logic I'm hoping I can waste licenses of Outlook and setup VM's to run outlook and the have dedicated mailboxes for things like "Orders@domain.com" and then let outlook move the items to the Public folder. But it's a cheesy method and wastes licenses... but it is so important that maybe we'll do it.

Even though the migration tool was supposed to pickup the other domains and add it to the ME configuration it didn't, but it's only 3 others so I did it manually. And to further stray from the original subject when it migrates the mailbox it doesn't pickup the other email aliases for each user.

Back to the point on PF's I can certainly expect to have to manually migrate public folders from Exchange to ME. I am just not over the illogical implementation of PFs in ME... and still may ask for a refund. Our desire to dump Microsoft is keeping me working on getting a solution using ME as I found no other acceptable email system better than ME besides Exchange.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Public Folders - implementation & Usage

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

To enable "Public Folders" within the MailEnable Connector for Outlook you need to open the Outlook account settings for the connector. Select the "Advanced configuration" checkbox and then navigate to the "mailbox" tab. You will see a checkbox for "Enable Public Folders".

http://www.mailenable.com/MailEnable_Co ... utlook.pdf -> Page 4
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support