Attachments as winmail.dat in webmail

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
sindrehi

Attachments as winmail.dat in webmail

Post by sindrehi »

Hi,

One of our users complaining about receiving emails with attachments where attachments are replaced with a winmail.dat file. This is in webmail not in email client. If email is forwarded then receipient is receiving all attachments as normal. Also if email is opened in a email client.
I've checked out this article: http://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/ar ... D=ME020310, but it was not very helpful. This has to be a problem in webmail and is not related to sender.
We use Enterprise Edition 10.20

Best Regards,
Sindre HIåsen

kiamori

Re: Attachments as winmail.dat in webmail

Post by kiamori »

This is a problem with how outlook sends files, you can change the setting in outlook then webmail will see it as a standard file. but this requires the sender to update settings within outlook.

sindrehi

Post by sindrehi »

Hi,

It might be. But then I think our webmail just need to read this correctly. Just fix it..
Maybe we can say to our customer that this its the receiver that has a problem if receiver uses a emailclient that nobody else use. But we cant tell our customer to ask the sender to do something with his settings while he uses outlook that is a normal email client.
When Opera mail, thunderbird, mac mail, outlook and gmail (+ probably more) manage to read this attachment correct, I think webmail also should manage to read it correctly.

Sindre

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Yes, something we may look at implementing in the future. But its currently not supported. I don't think the email clients you have pointed out support reading winmail.dat attachments and require third party plugins to be installed or specific winmail.dat readers. In any case we don't support it in web mail.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support