SMTP DNS Blacklisting and Whitelists

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
MartynK

SMTP DNS Blacklisting and Whitelists

Post by MartynK »

I have a number of emails that are in my mailbox whitelist, yet they are still going in to my spam folder.

In my SMTP settings I have "DNS Blacklisting Enabled" and the option "Mark the email as Spam" selected as the option for emails found in the various DNS lists.

I can see for example, from the SMTP logs that these emails are coming from various AWS servers hosting the senders domains and these servers are in the SORBS list. So the SMTP blacklisting is working correctly and detecting the email as coming from a listed SMTP server.

But I have the senders domain in my whitelist, should it not ignore the SMTP setting to mark as spam seeing the mailbox whitelist should override it ?

If the mailbox rule does not take precedence, then whats the point of it ?

MartynK

Re: SMTP DNS Blacklisting and Whitelists

Post by MartynK »

So has anyone got an magical ideas on this one ?

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

Just going to nudge this topic again in the hope that we may get an official answer as to why this happens and how I can fix it :roll:

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Mailbox level whitelisting will bypass SMTP DNS blacklisting. If this is not the case you need to ensure that you have whitelisted the correct envelope sender address (reply to address in headers) and not the from address in the message headers. You can enable higher level debug logging for the postoffice connector which will log what is happening in more detail.

https://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/article.asp?ID=me020585
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

kiamori

Post by kiamori »

Ian,

The problem with this is when someone clicks the "whitelist sender" option in the email that it whitelists the from address rather than the envelope sender. This is a bug that I had created a ticket on some time ago. It should mark the envelope sender email "if available" and if not, it should revert to the "from" address. We have to manually do this for our clients about 30 times a day because they don't understand the extra steps of going in and manually checking the envelope sender then manually going into options > spam > white list and adding that {envelopesender} address.