Best Practice SMTP settings

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
childebrecht

Best Practice SMTP settings

Post by childebrecht »

Good afternoon. I am a network administrator for a small ISP. We utilize Mailenable Enterprise 10.30 for our internet customers. Currently we have around 5000 active email boxes. Being as how the majority of our customers are on the same domain we have the tendency to get blacklisted from places like Outlook/etc and of course when that happens it blocks the rest of our customers from being able to email these places. Is anyone aware of anything written up or previous discussions on best practice in regards to SMTP limits/maximum threads/connections/etc to use in order to limit this from happening. In order to temporarily resolve issue I rerouted my offending domain out through an alternate IP address so that way it is not currently being blocked. Typically we just try to wait the blacklist out. Thank you for any assistance.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Best Practice SMTP settings

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The first step is to determine the reason for the rejection. Do you see any errors in the bounce messages? Have you reviewed the following article which lists the best practices and troubleshooting guides when sending to large email providers such Hotmail, Gmail etc?

http://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/article.asp?ID=ME020003
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support