Spam filter recommendation

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
rfwilliams777

Spam filter recommendation

Post by rfwilliams777 »

When I first started hosting email using MailEnable 18 years ago I only used its spam filtering. After a few years and clients added, I had to implement a third-party filter. The third party did well until they went out of business. Although I haven't had too many complaints or issues, I would like to go back to just one filter (meaning only use ME) if possible while maintaining a quality filter. I would also like to avoid adding 10 million filters for emails to go through because I've had mixed results with that and to be honest, I haven't seen 100% proof in the pudding. I don't have time to spend all day spoon feeding emails to my clients to then create custom filters all day every day.

So Under Extensions-->Message Filter I have the antivirus and SpamAssassin enabled with Bayesian disabled.
I do not have greylisting enabled because I was getting too many people freaking out with messages to them/clients.
Under DNS and URL blacklisting, I only have SpamhausZEN.

If there are other blacklistings I should add, remove, adjust, whatever...I would like to hear your feedback.

MXScan, I have filter action to append the subject or header to redirect the spam; under spam filters I have country scores for every country; RDNS enabled are Spamcop, Sorbs, BRBL, JMF (all colors), Psbl, Sem-Black; URBL enabled are SURBL and URIBL; Spamassassin, DCC, backscatter, and senderbase with additional content filters, SpamTrap, and customized whitelist/blacklist.

I do not want any third-party recommendations or to use an off-the-server filter because I don't have time for clients asking "where did the email go" and I have to reply, I don't know because the third-party killed it on their end and I have no log or anything to substantiate why it is blocked.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

kiamori

Re: Spam filter recommendation

Post by kiamori »

We built a custom integration that updates a DNSBL based on what users report as spam, it works very well with one exception, google/gmail is always getting listed and they never make removal requests so you may need to create a bypass for them. Other then that its very good.

DNSBL: bl.0spam.org