Slow download of attachments over WebMail as well as Outlook Client

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
naikmanish

Slow download of attachments over WebMail as well as Outlook Client

Post by naikmanish »

Greetings,

We have implemented an Enterprise Edition for Evaluation for one of my clients.

We have a t3a.Large instance. 2xCPU, 8 GB RAM and 5 Gbps Backbone.

The team which uses this email server works from different locations but the minimum is 40 Mbps link and goes upto 1 Gbps at certain locations.

We have observed that at all locations, including webmail and Outlook Client, that the attachment download is very slow. Around about 100 KBps (about 1 Mbps) only. We use IMAP on the Outlook Client.

I took screen shots of the server CPU/RAM/Network Task manager and a client on 40 Mbps which caps at 100 KBps download.

Could you help please.

Thank you

Manish Naik
Attachments
Server Task Manager.png
Server Task Manager.png (42.7 KiB) Viewed 13787 times
Download Speed.png
Download Speed.png (41.64 KiB) Viewed 13787 times

naikmanish

Re: Slow download of attachments over WebMail as well as Outlook Client

Post by naikmanish »

Nobody !!!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Have you tried to access the web mail client locally on the server via http://mewebmail.localhost or http://localhost/mewebmail to see if the upload is still sluggish?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

naikmanish

Post by naikmanish »

Greetings Ian,

I tried it locally on the server with a web client. Because I cannot install outlook on the server itself due to licensing issues.

It is working fine. It uploaded 4 MB of files in seconds.

Any ideas ?

Thank you

Warm Regards

Manish Naik

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Most likely you have a proxy/firewall filtering the data. Also Antivirus applications can also slow it down. If it works locally then this does not point to a server side problem and more so a network issue.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

naikmanish

Post by naikmanish »

Greetings Ian,

We did think that was the case. But it wasn't!

The machine is on AWS which has a Backbone of 5Gbps. No Proxy, No Filtering, No Firewall (except the windows firewall installed on default). Also my place has a 300 Mbps connection, no proxy, no filtering, no Firewall, nothing!

We also tried it from three different locations, 40 Mbps, 1 Gbps and 100 Mbps links. Same problem.

Tried with three different machines and two different versions of Outlook. Same Problem.

Antivirus, is default windows defender on the server and regular other Antivirus on the client side.

Each of the existing machines is also connected with other IMAP services/Email accounts on other services. They work fine.

Anyway, please let me know if somethings pops in your mind and you want me to check. But its irritating when you have a 1 Gbps connection and yet a 2 MB file takes quite sometime to download.

Thank you

Warm Regards

Manish Naik

digitron

Post by digitron »

I can confirm that handling attach in ME was always a bit buggy, especially when downloading it when preview mode is ON in Outlook. We use ME Enterprise (up to date) with Outlook and latest ME Connector. My Office has 150Mbps link, server is on stable VPS with plenty resources and 100Mbps link and there is no FW between server and clients. Things got bit better with ME connector for Outlook ver 2.75, but still outlook freezes when downloading attach for few seconds. Outlook is 2016/2019/Microsoft365

kiamori

Post by kiamori »

disable the windows defender scanning on the ME directory on the server, and your problem should be solved. Also, you should check your resource monitor, then look at disk. if you are on a shared server through AWS its highly likely that they are over subbed on I/O's and your disk speed is the bottleneck.

I run thousands of users on our ME install and file downloads are very fast including very large ones which many of our clients use.

digitron

Post by digitron »

@kiamori
Good advice, but'm not sure about this. I run ME on VPS with Enterprise flash storage (disk impact is very low). Regarding defender, in my case there is none since this is Server 2012R2.
Perfmon results and taskManager performance attached
Attachments
Capture perfmon.PNG
Capture perfmon.PNG (22.69 KiB) Viewed 13221 times
Capture perfmon_graph.PNG
Capture perfmon_graph.PNG (110.29 KiB) Viewed 13221 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (88 KiB) Viewed 13221 times

digitron

Post by digitron »

@naikmanish