IMAP issue

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
dcol

IMAP issue

Post by dcol »

I am seeing a problem with IMAP users. Messages are disappearing. The email is in webmail, but both Outlook and Thunderbird are having the same issue, so it is an IMAP issue. it doesn't appear that IMAP is syncing properly and it is getting worse. One common thing on the users having issues is they have thousands of emails in their Inbox. I do NOT have XLIST enabled

I have noticed a lot of 'Couldn't decrypt, error 80090330' errors in the IMAP debug log. I am using a Sectigo OV certificate so not sure why that error comes up.
Is there anything we can do about this? The clients are getting upset.

rfwilliams777

Re: IMAP issue

Post by rfwilliams777 »

Any email that is added, edited, deleted, moved, replied to, forwarded, all get updated in the index files. Depending on your server's horse power--ram, processor, disk size/speed--the index files may not be updating fast enough or at all causing this issue. A manual way to get everything to work is to delete all the index files (about 3-4 files) in each account in each folder.

Also I STRONGLY recommend that the inbox should only contain very recent and mostly unanswered emails. When months to years of emails are stored in the inbox (worse if there are also subfolders inside the Inbox folder) then that indexing capability in ME has to work harder. I always recommend either archiving (moving emails into folders based on months and years for easy retrieval), archiving them out of the user's mailbox, or just flat deleting emails past a certain time period (and Google does this automatically and never tells you) then this may help with the indexing.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

poweredge

Post by poweredge »

You guys may seriously consider using SSD or high IOPS SAN to solve this problem

dcol

Post by dcol »

Using Dell server with dual Xeon's and all SSD drives. Can't do much better than that.

dcol

Post by dcol »

The issue still exists of constant errors ,below , in the debug logs. Some of the mailboxes have nothing in them, others are large. No more than 500 emails in a folder.

Here is the error in the IMAP debug log
Authenticating User: tester@mydomain.com using Authentication Provider Credentials
08/24/21 13:26:06 Couldn't decrypt, error 80090330

Can anyone please help me figure out what this means and how to fix?
Last edited by dcol on Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

What version of Windows Server are you running? What I have been doing once a month is not only archiving the mail server logs (zipping the previous month), but I also run disk cleanup and defrag. Believe it or not, that has actually also helped with performance.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

dcol

Post by dcol »

Windows server 2019. Most of these mailboxes has just a few emails. I tried deleting all the index files. Didn't help.
I am testing using Thunderbird and this error comes up everytime it rescans for new email.

I am really thinking this is a bug in Mailenable.

Email is still working, although some users reporting missing email in their IMAP client that is found in webmail. This error occurs constantly with all users

Here is the full connection
08/24/21 13:33:04 Authenticating User: tester@mydomain.com using Authentication Provider Credentials
08/24/21 13:33:04 Couldn't decrypt, error 80090330
08/24/21 13:33:04 Socket (8576) closed by client.
08/24/21 13:33:04 [8576] End of conversation. Removing connection. Session=503454128

Happens with all users, then after the error, gets though. But IMAP is real slow as a result. What does it mean by 'Couldn't decrypt'? What is it trying to decrypt? I am not using encrypted passwords. Is this an SSL issue?

dcol

Post by dcol »

Here is more info. This does not happen with MAPI, only IMAP. Tried a test account in Outlook 2016. no errors with MAPI connection. Errors with IMAP.

dcol

Post by dcol »

No one..? I have no issue moving Outlook clients to MAPI, but that is only 50% of my client base. Can't use MAPI with Thunderbird. If I lose clients over this I am going to dump ME for a better email server.

poweredge

Post by poweredge »

What ME version are you using? I am still using V10.34 Solid as Gold!

and that's why I always delay the upgrade, as new release may introduce new bugs

dcol

Post by dcol »

I am on 10.35 and have been for a while. Why isn't ME dealing with this?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

"Dcol" your best way forward here would be to lodge a support ticket and provide all the relevant IMAP logs files and details so that technician to can troubleshoot in more detail.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

dcol

Post by dcol »

Don't want to pay for a support ticket for a bug report.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

You can lodge under "Upgrade" which is free.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support