Relay AUTH and/or IP

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
abs0lute

Relay AUTH and/or IP

Post by abs0lute »

Hi,

I configured a mail enable server a while back as a mail relay and it is working without issue. At the time it made sense to set "Allow relay for authenticated senders" only and that has been fine.

I have just added another service to the environment for which I need to use the SMTP server. This new service's built in mail client does not support AUTH though.

My question is, is the "Allow relay for privileged IP ranges" option an AND or an OR type situation?

i.e. If AUTH is not usable, but the IP in question is on the list of allowed IP's will it override the AUTH requirement option and allow the send?

Or by checking the "Allow relay for privileged IP ranges" box am I effectively telling mail enable that the sending party must be using BOTH auth AND be on the list of IP's?

Couldn't find anything that stated it explicitly. Usually I would just try it, but if its an AND situation it will block all the currently sending services as they wont be in the IP list - and I would rather not break that.

Many thanks,

Matt

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Relay AUTH and/or IP

Post by Admin »

Hi,

It is an OR option. We do indicate this in the text just above the options "Users only need to match one of the settings below... etc". Just make sure when you enable it by IP address that you have it set to "all computers will be DENIED relay rights" when setting the exceptions.

abs0lute

Re: Relay AUTH and/or IP

Post by abs0lute »

Awesome thanks for getting back. I made this way more complex than it needed to be - as you say it is clearly indicated on the page already. Why I failed to see/read that is anyone's guess. Thanks for highlighting my mistake.

Matt