error creating virtual error : automation error

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
b h goh

error creating virtual error : automation error

Post by b h goh » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:16 pm

I have encountered a new problem after replacing a file list.asp in BIN directory to fix the Feb date issue.
In trying to resolve the IUSR_xxx and IME_USER rights issue, I must have messed up the whole thing. Now I lost both MEWebmail and MEAdmin access -- http 500 error in IE.
I followed several instructions from knowledge base:
1. Delete webmail & meadmin packages from COM+
2. Run MEInstaller.exe and verified that there is no error shown in log file,
3. Update passwords in virtual directories in IIS
4. Follow Microsoft knowledge base artcle 269001 to resolve event ID36 & 10004 error.

But whenever I tried to finally reinstall the Webmail & Wedamin in MMC Services, I get the error message : error creating virtual directory: automation error. The webmail install will be completed but the http error persists.

Anyone has come across something like this?
I want to reinstall the whole ME program, but could not figure out the fastest and best way to do it.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:58 am

Hi,

If you are experiencing this error when trying to add webmail to a site listed in your site configuration window, this usually inidicates that your IIS configuration is either corrupt or the ASP component on your server is corrupt and cannot process ASP pages.

You can test this by creating a test .ASP page and copying it into your websites location. Then if you cannot access this file via your browser, then the details described above is most likely the cause.

Regards,

Update list.asp

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:22 am

When Update list.asp ..??? date and time error (invalid)

bhgoh

Post by bhgoh » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:52 pm

My problem has been resolved with assistance from ME support staff. It was caused by my own mistake -- I have changed the IWAM_Machine password without realising it. I thought I only changed the IME_Admin and IME-USER passwords. The password thus does not match that in the Out-of-Process packages in COM+