Lost Notifications

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
danimalrex

Lost Notifications

Post by danimalrex »

Hi all. I've been serching for the last hour and haven't found a clear and helpful note that seems to help me.

All of my local notifications are ending up straight in my badmail folder. No one gets a rejection notice or anything.

Why is this, and how can I fix it so that my users get their rejections when they type a address in incorrectly?

I have a pretty straight up install on ME Enterprise running, and have done very little tweaking. All of these mails are in my badmail folder, and are showing in there as being from postmaster@mydomain.com back to the original sender (which does exist).

Any help or poitners are appreciated.

Dan

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Try this KB article, it explains various reasons why messages end up in badmail:
http://www.mailenable.com/kb/Content/Ar ... D=me020119

Regards,

danimalrex

Post by danimalrex »

Thanks Ian. I found that earlier, but it dosen't seem to help me in any way.

I guess to clarify somewhat, we are using MailEnable enterprise as out incoming and outgoing mail server. We are running ASSP infront of it, but I don't beleive this to be our problem.

I think the crux of the problem is that when a mail message with an unknown recipient is sent through our mail server (typo in the address, or whatever) the bounce message is going straight into the badmail folder, rather than going back to the original sender. We know that the senders addresses are correct, both in their mail client as well as on the mail server itself.

For some reason, Mailenable is screwing this up and dumping failure notifications stright to the bad mail folder.

I'm pretty sure it is a error on my part that is causing this, but for the life of me, I can't find anything anywhere that looks worng.

Any points as to what to look for?

danimalrex

Post by danimalrex »

Ok, I might be feeling like a bit of a dummy once this is all said and done...

I have my domin Smarthosted through Mailenable to our old shared hosting box with the DNS for the mailenable box set as mail2 and the old virtual box as simply mail). The thinking was I could migrate accounts to the ME box (mail stops at this box if the account exists while mail for accounts which are not created yet on the ME box go through to the old virtual box). This has been working flawlessly (at least it seemed).

Tonight, I turned the smarthosting off for a brief time, and suddenly, it looked like our notifications are now working (at least, as long as the smarthosting is turned off).

Does this sound right?

Guess I better get a little more proactive in my switching out of people to the new server!

I'll update once I get that done and turn the smarthosting off for good.

mammdo

Post by mammdo »

danimalrex wrote:Thanks Ian. I found that earlier, but it dosen't seem to help me in any way.

I guess to clarify somewhat, we are using MailEnable enterprise as out incoming and outgoing mail server. We are running ASSP infront of it, but I don't beleive this to be our problem.

I think the crux of the problem is that when a mail message with an unknown recipient is sent through our mail server (typo in the address, or whatever) the bounce message is going straight into the badmail folder, rather than going back to the original sender. We know that the senders addresses are correct, both in their mail client as well as on the mail server itself.

For some reason, Mailenable is screwing this up and dumping failure notifications stright to the bad mail folder.

I'm pretty sure it is a error on my part that is causing this, but for the life of me, I can't find anything anywhere that looks worng.

Any points as to what to look for?
I have the same problem now, I think that is ASSP, How do you fix this problem?