Upgrading SpamAssassin

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
TT

Upgrading SpamAssassin

Post by TT »

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out a way to upgrade SpamAssassin and haven't had any luck finding any info on the SpamAssassin site. Right now we're using MailEnable Professional v 1.x. I've found that we have SpamAssassin version 2.60 running on Perl v 5.8.2. The mail server is a Windows Server 2003 box.

I'm really new to this and just coming into this project with no documentation I don't know how anything is configured or even how to check what is configured. All I know is that it mostly works but there is an issue where a good amount of spam is still getting through. So my first step was going to be to upgrade SpamAssassin to a newer version to see if this helps. What I need to know is exactly what I need to do to upgrade. Is there a reasonably easy way to do this?

Or... is it easier if I just install SpamAssassin all over again? Maybe install it with a more Windows friendly setup because I think (I don't know how to check) that it was installed on the server just as it would be on a Linux box.

Anyway any help would be much appreciated!!

polarisie

Re: Upgrading SpamAssassin

Post by polarisie »

I have worked with various builds of SpamAssassin on Windows servers and the most stable and performance build for windows is sawin32.sourceforge.net . I am using this in a antispam application i developed and it works well. It also has a built in SpamD daemon in addition to running spamassassin in command line mode

Cheers
TT wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to figure out a way to upgrade SpamAssassin and haven't had any luck finding any info on the SpamAssassin site. Right now we're using MailEnable Professional v 1.x. I've found that we have SpamAssassin version 2.60 running on Perl v 5.8.2. The mail server is a Windows Server 2003 box.

I'm really new to this and just coming into this project with no documentation I don't know how anything is configured or even how to check what is configured. All I know is that it mostly works but there is an issue where a good amount of spam is still getting through. So my first step was going to be to upgrade SpamAssassin to a newer version to see if this helps. What I need to know is exactly what I need to do to upgrade. Is there a reasonably easy way to do this?

Or... is it easier if I just install SpamAssassin all over again? Maybe install it with a more Windows friendly setup because I think (I don't know how to check) that it was installed on the server just as it would be on a Linux box.

Anyway any help would be much appreciated!!
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com