MEFilter installation

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
bayhan

MEFilter installation

Post by bayhan »

i installed MEfilter trial version. but i couldn't use it.
i configure the filter to process all mail with execute the mefilter.exe but when i check the meconcole email stats nothing happened.

is there tutorial to show full MEFilter installation and configuration.

do i need to register MEFilter to use it.

rockinthesixstring

Post by rockinthesixstring »

MEFilter is VERY easy to install, it is the configuring that can take a while.

1) install the setup file
2) make sure there is an ODBC connection to the database
3) make sure the ODBC connection string is set in the "Database" tab of MEConsole settings
4) make sure you are using the MTA pickup event to call MEFilter.exe as it is a little trickier to use a MailEnable filter to call the MEFilter.exe

I personally call the MTA after the filters.

More info can be found at http://www.mefilter.com/cs/
Chase
Server 2008 Standard (x64)
ME Ent 6.51 (SQL Server 2008 Config)
ASSP 1.9

bayhan

Post by bayhan »

i check what you said but still no message stats. i think there is something to configure to run this. because my mails are not scan with MEFilter

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

Try "Double-Clicking" the the stats are to expand it.

Also have a look at the log files to see what it says there. If MEFilter is processing it will tell you exactly what its doing in the log files.

bayhan

Post by bayhan »

i check the mailenable filter log file. it is processed but. i says mefilter runs. but when i check meconsole emailstats nothing happens. i also insert some keywords to spam delete phrases and send mail i did not delete the mail.

what do i need to do. do i need to buy licence or is it works at free

rockinthesixstring

As martyn said. Check the MEFilter logs.
if there is NOTHING happening, then you probably have an incorrectly configured database connection.

make sure your ODBC connection string is entered properly in the "database" tab within the config of MEConsole.
Chase
ASSP 1.9

bayhan

Post by bayhan »

do i need to enter access password for dsn.

rockinthesixstring

afaik the Access DB is not password protected. I personally use the SQL config, so I DO need to enter the password.
Chase
ASSP 1.9

bayhan

Post by bayhan »

finally. i run the mefilter. but it is only catch the blacklist. when i enter a specific keyword to spam delet section. i couldn't find it and the spam mail enters.

is there a configuration for that

rockinthesixstring

you are probably best off to do a search in the MEFilter forums and if you cannot find the answer, then post these questions in the MEFilter forums
Chase
ASSP 1.9

mshanley

MW Stats

Post by mshanley »

I don't know why it is so hard to post some screen shots or specific steps to get MeFilter working with SQL.. this program ver 7 has been out since 2007 right..?

I purchased the ocr ver and for the life of me I am frustrated as the amount of time i have had to spend to get things working.

MEStats is showing 0 all the way across screen..

MeFilter seems to be working.. I gued as to the data base setup.. I ran the ver 7 sql string.. and i changed the database tab on mefilter to the database..

What about the logging info pointed to the access database ? I have found nothing on changing this.. should it point to the same server sql odbc string on the database tab?

General Tab
Logging Settings
Log File DSN is pointed to MeFilteLogDb by default.. this is the name of the default access db.. which i'm not using..

Should this point to the same sql server db on the database tab?
Sincerely,

Mitch Shanley

Microsoft MCP, MCSE+I, Novell CNA, CNE, Compaq ASE

If you want to know your past - look into your present conditions. If you want to know your future - look into your present actions.
--Chinese Proverb

rockinthesixstring

Please consider a jump to ASSP. Up and running in 30 minutes with minimal "tweeking" after installation.

http://assp.sourceforge.net
Chase
ASSP 1.9

MartynK

Re: MW Stats

Post by MartynK »

mshanley wrote:I don't know why it is so hard to post some screen shots or specific steps to get MeFilter working with SQL.. this program ver 7 has been out since 2007 right..?

I purchased the ocr ver and for the life of me I am frustrated as the amount of time i have had to spend to get things working.

MEStats is showing 0 all the way across screen..

MeFilter seems to be working.. I gued as to the data base setup.. I ran the ver 7 sql string.. and i changed the database tab on mefilter to the database..

What about the logging info pointed to the access database ? I have found nothing on changing this.. should it point to the same server sql odbc string on the database tab?

General Tab
Logging Settings
Log File DSN is pointed to MeFilteLogDb by default.. this is the name of the default access db.. which i'm not using..

Should this point to the same sql server db on the database tab?
I am sorry your finding it this hard, maybe because your trying to just change to may standard settings in one go.

PM me and I will help. Buty like I have said to you in previous posts the SQL implementations of MEFilter were not written by me, hence being unsupported.

As for the logging setting, thats simple, the logging database is only used if you logging to the database, if not as the program and tooltips say, it will go to a file. Screenshots for this are on the web site.

Did you follow my instructions on your email stats issue. I said check that the database was being updated, is it ?

Just transfering your post from one forum to another is not going to help if you don't actually follow the advice your being given.

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

A brand new installation program is now available which also helps in the initial installation of MEFilter.

dafacct

MEFilter

Post by dafacct »

I have been using MEFilter as an ME spam filtering solution for several years, and it works great. I have not upgraded to vs 7 yet since 6.5 meets our needs. It does take a little time to set up correctly, but once set up, it filters 96-98% of all spam. Be patient and set up the "main configuration" section, then each of the other configuration filters. You will be amazed at how efficient it really is.