MXScan for Mailenable (AntiVirus and AntiSpam Plugin)

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
polarisie

Re: Problem with one missed email address

Post by polarisie »

narsindal wrote:
polarisie wrote:If the Plesk Even was disabled via the registry you should also try rebooting your machine.

The last one more thing you can try is to DELETE the account the Mailenable (not PLESK) and then recreate in MailEnable MMC (not plesk) so that you have a clean start

cheers
Alas, no such luck. I restarted the server and rebuilt the mailbox from within MailEnable and it's still not being picked up by MxScan.

I appreciate your efforts on this. If only I could trace where that message is going.

Thanks.
If possible, you can try manually DELETING the Account in the MailEnable MMC and then recreating it. This should give you a clean start.
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

narsindal

Post by narsindal »

polarisie wrote:
narsindal wrote:
polarisie wrote:If the Plesk Even was disabled via the registry you should also try rebooting your machine.

The last one more thing you can try is to DELETE the account the Mailenable (not PLESK) and then recreate in MailEnable MMC (not plesk) so that you have a clean start

cheers
Alas, no such luck. I restarted the server and rebuilt the mailbox from within MailEnable and it's still not being picked up by MxScan.

I appreciate your efforts on this. If only I could trace where that message is going.

Thanks.
If possible, you can try manually DELETING the Account in the MailEnable MMC and then recreating it. This should give you a clean start.
Tried that too. Still no luck. It's just so odd that it shows up in the MailEnable logs, I see it calling MxScan, it comes back and is delivered to the mailbox but it's not anywhere to be found in the MxScan logs.

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

narsindal wrote:
polarisie wrote:
narsindal wrote: Alas, no such luck. I restarted the server and rebuilt the mailbox from within MailEnable and it's still not being picked up by MxScan.

Thanks.
Tried that too. Still no luck. It's just so odd that it shows up in the MailEnable logs, I see it calling MxScan, it comes back and is delivered to the mailbox but it's not anywhere to be found in the MxScan logs.
Under the MxScanME folder there a file called global.config. You can temporarily turn on the MTA Log debugging by setting the

MxScanME_Log_Enabled = True

This will show if the message is actually processed by MxScan or if it is skipped for any reason. Do remember to turn it off once you're done

If that does not work then the only remainding option is to open a support ticket with us using the instructions found at http://www.mxuptime.com/support.aspx

Cheers
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

narsindal

Post by narsindal »

polarisie wrote: Under the MxScanME folder there a file called global.config. You can temporarily turn on the MTA Log debugging by setting the

This will show if the message is actually processed by MxScan or if it is skipped for any reason. Do remember to turn it off once you're done

If that does not work then the only remainding option is to open a support ticket with us using the instructions found at http://www.mxuptime.com/support.aspx

Cheers
Perfect, we can see what it's doing at least. I got the following bad one followed by a good one:

11/7/2008 7:51:01 AM (ConnectorType[0] : SMTP) - MessageID : () phillip@good.com -> phillip@test.com | 1A347AC40B364D358E4D4190B73EAD45.MAI
11/7/2008 7:51:01 AM Bypassing message 1A347AC40B364D358E4D4190B73EAD45.MAI - SMTP with Account=Null

11/7/2008 7:51:51 AM (ConnectorType[0] : SMTP) - MessageID : (working.com) phillip@good.com -> phil@working.com | DF9781D5CA95448B936CC33D8673FC67.MAI
11/7/2008 7:51:51 AM Moving files to [C:\Program Files\SWsoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Queues\SMTP\Inbound\Messages\mxscan_hold_1\DF9781D5CA95448B936CC33D8673FC67_.MAI|_.H00]

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

narsindal wrote:
polarisie wrote: Under the MxScanME folder there a file called global.config. You can temporarily turn on the MTA Log debugging by setting the

Cheers
Perfect, we can see what it's doing at least. I got the following bad one followed by a good one:

11/7/2008 7:51:01 AM (ConnectorType[0] : SMTP) - MessageID : () phillip@good.com -> phillip@test.com | 1A347AC40B364D358E4D4190B73EAD45.MAI
11/7/2008 7:51:01 AM Bypassing message 1A347AC40B364D358E4D4190B73EAD45.MAI - SMTP with Account=Null

11/7/2008 7:51:51 AM (ConnectorType[0] : SMTP) - MessageID : (working.com) phillip@good.com -> phil@working.com | DF9781D5CA95448B936CC33D8673FC67.MAI
11/7/2008 7:51:51 AM Moving files to [C:\Program Files\SWsoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Queues\SMTP\Inbound\Messages\mxscan_hold_1\DF9781D5CA95448B936CC33D8673FC67_.MAI|_.H00]
Hi

1. What version of MailEnable are you running with and how are you sending this out (outlook?) ? Are the message being authenthicated first (not relayed)

2. What version of MxScan are you running?

2. Is the phillip@good.com account designated as the Postmaster for the "good.com" domain?
Visit www.mxuptime.com

narsindal

Post by narsindal »

polarisie wrote: Hi

1. What version of MailEnable are you running with and how are you sending this out (outlook?) ? Are the message being authenthicated first (not relayed)

2. Is the phillip@good.com account designated as the Postmaster for the "good.com" domain?
1. From Diagnostics: Standard version 1.9
2. MxScanLite 1.6.720.4
3. There was no postmaster for the domain. I set it to a different address and it still doesn't pick up for phillip@good.com.

Thanks. Looks like I'm behind on MailEnable. Do you suspect there will be any issues with upgrading considering I have Plesk?

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

narsindal wrote:
polarisie wrote: Hi

1. From Diagnostics: Standard version 1.9
2. MxScanLite 1.6.720.4
3. There was no postmaster for the domain. I set it to a different address and it still doesn't pick up for phillip@good.com.

Thanks. Looks like I'm behind on MailEnable. Do you suspect there will be any issues with upgrading considering I have Plesk?
All things being equal, you could consider upgrading. Version 1.9 is about 3 years old. MxScan of course if designed to work/tested with current releases of MailEnable (within the last years only)
Visit www.mxuptime.com

polarisie

New Releases Available

Post by polarisie »

Kindly take note that there are 2 new releases available :

MXScan Lite - 1.7.120
MXScan Pro - 1.8.100

Thanks
Visit www.mxuptime.com

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

I used to have lots of messages it seemed like trapped in the MXScan but I upped the threads to it's maximum and the messages are flowing much faster. I don't know what your average daily load of incoming messages is, but we get around 11,800 messages inbound a day. By the way, we only scan incoming as (1) I trust that my clients shouldn't be sending out SPAM or viruses and (2) I set limits to the number of messages that can be sent out in an hour for each domain (around 100).
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

rfwilliams777 wrote:I used to have lots of messages it seemed like trapped in the MXScan but I upped the threads to it's maximum and the messages are flowing much faster. I don't know what your average daily load of incoming messages is, but we get around 11,800 messages inbound a day. By the way, we only scan incoming as (1) I trust that my clients shouldn't be sending out SPAM or viruses and (2) I set limits to the number of messages that can be sent out in an hour for each domain (around 100).
Hi Robert

3-4 concurrent threads should be sufficient for volumes around 10k and I've not seen many issues with these volumes. The one thing you should check is that you have a fast or better still local DNS servers if that is possible.

To correctly identify the problem you can go over the mxscan-service log files to see which of the test(s) are taking the longest amount of time

Btw, Is this a recent issue? If yes, then it could be due to the fact that the Sanesecurity signatures are not being updated at the moment and the messages have to go through the slower filters (ie. SpamAssassin - single threaded). However, work is in progress and it should be back shortly

Cheers
Last edited by polarisie on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

Although I am running DNS for the domains I host, we are not allowed to have recursion due to DNS poisoning, so I had to set the various DNS (including the MXScan) to other DNS servers (one was recommended by the documentation).

The reason why was because the default was causing a major log jam where messages took anywhere from 15 minutes to 18 hours before an e-mail would get passed through. Since increasing it to the maximum, messages are being processed at an acceptable rate.
Robert Williams, Owner
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

rfwilliams777 wrote:Although I am running DNS for the domains I host, we are not allowed to have recursion due to DNS poisoning, so I had to set the various DNS (including the MXScan) to other DNS servers (one was recommended by the documentation).

The reason why was because the default was causing a major log jam where messages took anywhere from 15 minutes to 18 hours before an e-mail would get passed through. Since increasing it to the maximum, messages are being processed at an acceptable rate.
What was your previous concurrent threads? Was it set to 1?
Visit www.mxuptime.com

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

I don't remember...It was whatever the default is when you first install it.
Robert Williams, Owner

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

rfwilliams777 wrote:I don't remember...It was whatever the default is when you first install it.
The default would have been 1. This has changed in the latest installer where the default is set to 3. As general rule of thumb, 1 thread for every 4-5000 messages processed. The more threads you have the more memory would be required as such i would recommend keeping it somewhere around your message volumes.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

trusnock

Post by trusnock »

Hello,
Our server is using much more disk I/O since we upgraded from 1.6.720.4 to 1.8.100.0 over the weekend, and I am concerned it won't handle our mail volume during the business week. I have turned off SpamAssassin since that seems to be the most resource-intensive component.

It occurred to me after reading the recent posts here that the new default of 4 threads might be the cause, so I have temporarily reduced that to 1. MxScan processes about 20,000 messages for us on an average day, and the old default seemed to work fine. (But we'll see if I wake up to a huge backlog in the morning.)

We were already running the Win32 ClamD (at Matt's recommendation) because of issues we had been having with Cygwin, so I don't suspect the recent move to Win32 in the installation package is the cause.

I just wanted to check with you to see if you made any changes that might cause a significant increase in I/O, or if you think the additional concurrent threads caused it, or if I should be looking elsewhere for the cause.

Thanks,
-Tom R.