MXScan for Mailenable (AntiVirus and AntiSpam Plugin)

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
polarisie

Re: MXScan for Mailenable (AntiVirus and AntiSpam Plugin)

Post by polarisie »

rfwilliams777 wrote:Hi polarisie,
Thank you for the notification. I have updated mine to this latest release. Lately I have noticed a tremendous amount of spam passing (like 10-20 a day) to the Inbox. When I look at the scores and origins, all are from the US and have a score of 4.1 but they are all unkinkable hoses and junk like that. Will the country IP scoring fix this? I'd rather not increase the US country score too high because I had issues a few weeks ago where we were getting too much legit e-mail from the US landing in the Junk E-mail folder (which got a good number of people mad at me).
What we are seeing is an increase of spam from free email providers (i.e yahoo mail, google groups, etc) which normally gets through the IP based filters.
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

trusnock

Post by trusnock »

Hello,
About five years ago, when I first started using MXScan, I tried setting the RDNSBL "Maximum header check depth" to 2 because it really sounded like it made sense to do so (if a message comes from a known spam source, even if it later passes through a server that doesn't appear on any blacklists, I believe it should still be considered spam). However, that resulted in false positives, which I asked about in this thread (http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=90). It was recommended that I stick with the default value of "1", so I set it back to that and haven't really thought about it since.

However, I've noticed recently that some spam is getting though MXScan because the *last* non-gateway server in the header was OK, but when I check manually I find that the previous server in the header is on several blacklists.

So it still really makes sense to me that MXScan should check *all* of the servers in the header (skipping the gateways of course), and I'm tempted to increase it.

Can you elaborate on why you think this value should be set to "1"? Do you have examples of what kind of false positives might occur if I use "2" or "3" (or "99")?

Thanks,
-Tom R.

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

I have mine set to 3. It seems to be a fair number.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

trusnock wrote:Hello,
About five years ago, when I first started using MXScan, I tried setting the RDNSBL "Maximum header check depth" to 2 because it really sounded like it made sense to do so (if a message comes from a known spam source, even if it later passes through a server that doesn't appear on any blacklists, I believe it should still be considered spam). However, that resulted in false positives, which I asked about in this thread (http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=90). It was recommended that I stick with the default value of "1", so I set it back to that and haven't really thought about it since.

However, I've noticed recently that some spam is getting though MXScan because the *last* non-gateway server in the header was OK, but when I check manually I find that the previous server in the header is on several blacklists.

So it still really makes sense to me that MXScan should check *all* of the servers in the header (skipping the gateways of course), and I'm tempted to increase it.

Can you elaborate on why you think this value should be set to "1"? Do you have examples of what kind of false positives might occur if I use "2" or "3" (or "99")?

Thanks,
-Tom R.
I would still recommend a value of 1 to reduce false positives. A lot of times the second or third IPs are the clients DSL Dynamic IP address which in most cases are tainted. Additional header depth will also take longer to process as there are additional lookups required.

However, there is no fixed rule and you are free to experiment.
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

trusnock

Post by trusnock »

I can see how an RBL that contains Dynamic IPs (like SORBS) would cause an issue with a higher value for depth. But I really think we're missing out on some spam we could block, so I'd like to figure out how to look deeper into the server list.

Perhaps in a future release, you could consider giving us a depth value for each DNSRBL instead of a single depth for all of them. That way, an RBL that contains dynamic IPs could be set to "1" and RBL's that strictly list known spammers could be set much deeper.

Country of origin is another similiar issue... If a PC in China hands a message to a US-based mail server, my country filter should treat it like it came from China, not the US, but I don't think that is currently the case.

Does anyone else have any insight on these? If anyone has a higher depth value and is confident they aren't causing false positives, could you tell us which RBLs you use?

Thanks,
-Tom

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

Recently I had been seeing a lot of the spam having a ".pw" domain suffix. But the IP address is from the US (usually, but not always). I've contacted some of the companies (the ones who own the servers to let them know so they can shut these people down) and it seems to help some. What is bad these people rent a v-ded server for maybe a week or a month, spam a bunch, and then jump to another server provider and do the same. By the time filters--manual and automated--catch up, these spammers have moved on elsewhere. I've had to take time out off and on to tweak levels, country scores, etc. just so if I do get spam in the Inbox, it is at least a very small amount.

In MXScan's defense, with the settings I currently have about 87% of the e-mail is spam and is filtered and blocked. I certainly can be proud to use this software for effective filtering. Some of the other providers charge way too much (like $500 a year) just to use their server to help with one layer of the filtering and that is based on the number of users you host. I'm a provider, so my numbers go higher of who I host.
Robert Williams, Owner
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

rfwilliams777 wrote:... with the settings I currently have about 87% of the e-mail is spam and is filtered and blocked. I certainly can be proud to use this software for effective filtering. Some of the other providers charge way too much (like $500 a year) just to use their server to help with one layer of the filtering and that is based on the number of users you host. I'm a provider, so my numbers go higher of who I host.
Thank you for your comments.

Its actually a juggling act trying to balance features (so that its easy enough to use for the masses and as such incurs lesser support issues) and while at the same time having the ability to filter out the bulk of spam. Also too tight the filters and you risk running False positives, and not tight enough you risk false negatives. However, for situations that require the highest possible spam catch rates there is always the option of running the integrated Sniffer plugin albeit at an additional subscription/cost.

I try to keep things simple enough so that it runs out of the box without needing a degree in "spam filtering". And as such to get this working sometimes means keeping the interface simple, so you might not find as detailed/low level configuration as some might need it to be.

cheers
Visit www.mxuptime.com

lrhea

Post by lrhea »

I am trying to install Lite version of MXScan on a windows 7 64bit system. ME has already been install and I am getting this error error in [bindFormData_ME]. Cannot open MxScanEngineME service on computer after the attempted install. Any ideas?

moegal

Post by moegal »

not able to get to mxscan website?

is mxuptime.com still in business?

Marty

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

As far as I know of they are in business. Their site might be down due to something.
Robert Williams, Owner

moegal

Post by moegal »

Thanks.

I cannot get to your website either in IE11 but I can in chrome.

Can't get to mxuptime on either. Maybe it is me.

Marty

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

You cannot view my website in IE 11? That's odd because I can on another computer.
Robert Williams, Owner

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

Hi

We are pleased to announce that MxScan Pro. 3.0.200 is now available for download. For a list of corresponding changes please see the accompanying release notes at http://www.mxuptime.com/ReleaseNotes.rtf

Note: With version 3.x of MxScan we have officially upgraded the .NET requirement to a minimum of .NET version 4.0 and above

Cheers
Visit www.mxuptime.com

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

Hi

We are pleased to announce that MxScan Pro. 3.1.101 is now available for download. For a list of corresponding changes please see the accompanying release notes at http://www.mxuptime.com/ReleaseNotes.rtf

With this new release there is beta support for AvastAV integration

Cheers
Visit www.mxuptime.com

mariareese

Post by mariareese »

"3.1.101" is this latest version? .. I have downloaded its setup but not working in win10 as well as my pc going hang everytime, please provide the link to upgrade it. Thanks ..