AVG Antivirus

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
JustinH

AVG Antivirus

Post by JustinH »

We have installed AVG 8 on our server and we are having issues. We turned off the resident sheild protection and are just using the command line scanner part of it. When Mailenable starts using it there is a huge delay in the speed of email delivery. Eventually, viruses start coming through and then the server will stop responding. This happened with AVG 7 as well. It almost seems like AVG can't process emails fast enough. Is there a way to speed this up, or any advice on what could be causing this?

Brett Rowbotham

Post by Brett Rowbotham »

Check the properties of the Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) and make sure that Maximum threads is set to 1.

You'll probably need to restart the MTA service if you change this value.

Cheers,
Brett

JustinH

Post by JustinH »

Thanks for the reply. We have tried tahat as well. The funny thing is, if we disable all antivirus through mailenable and set the MTA Max send threads to 1, it takes forever to sned an email. I could send an email to myself and it could take up to 5 min to get it. Currently we have it set to 64. Why would this be happening?

JustinH

Post by JustinH »

Ok, I got eveything set up and working with calmwin and everythin is moving smoothly, except when I set up a filter when a virus is found, thats where everything slows way down and becomes unresponsive. If I set the antivirus pluggin to delete the message it won't, but it does return 1 and I need to use a filter to catch it. Why is the filter slowing everything down?

JustinH

Post by JustinH »

We switched back to AVG 8 Network edition. We have the antivirus filter enabled and set to delete from the command line. We also have a filter in the message center to add a subject prefix. When everything is enabled it works greeat for about 20 min. After that it seems like avgscanx.exe starts to hang, we will see a message come in and it will take forever to scan a message and everything starts to build up in the queue. The I noticed I couldn't open the avg interface, so I stopped avgtray.exe and everything started flowing as expected again. If I don't enable antivirus checking within mailenable AVG will run as expected. I wonder if AVG has coded something to stop processing after so many command line scan to get you to upgrade to the email edition?

Thomas00

Post by Thomas00 »

Hmm! AVG is well but I am utilising www.search-and-destroy.com to protect against worms and trojans That is really good.
Good Day Guys!
:lol:

Brett Rowbotham

Post by Brett Rowbotham »

Just uninstalled AVG 8 from our server as it was causing too many problems with regards to memory and CPU cycle hogging.

Such a pity as AVG 7.5 worked well.

Cheers,
Brett