What is the Fastest AV Scanner for ME

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
MaliciousIndustries

What is the Fastest AV Scanner for ME

Post by MaliciousIndustries » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:04 am

Please let me know what the fastest of the comercial scanners listed on the ME site would be, possibly the version/edition of the product as well, as this is kind of left out from the list of scanners (ie:AVG Pro/Home??).

Thanks Steve.

rockinthesixstring

Post by rockinthesixstring » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:38 am

Honestly I would not recommend using an AV with MailEnable. MailEnable uses an MTA to pickup the mail file, send it to the scanner, and then continue on route. This can be very system intensive as ME needs to launch a NEW process for every message.

You will be much better off with a "Service" scan. To do this you can either spend the big bucks on an appliance that runs before your server, or you can configure a Spam/Virus Filter (service) to run on the same or different server in front of MailEnable.

Personally I use ASSP in conjunction with ClamAV (both are services), and my system load is less that 10% of what it used to be when I was using F-Prot and MEFilter.

I will totally suggest ASSP to handle even the largest applications. I have seen it handle message loads of over 100,000 message per day without issue, and the virus blocking with ClamAV works great.
Chase
Server 2008 Standard (x64)
ME Ent 6.51 (SQL Server 2008 Config)
ASSP 1.9

MaliciousIndustries

Post by MaliciousIndustries » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:31 am

In that case would not be better to run Clam on a linux box in front the server, we had looked at this before for SM and had figured we may take an old box and set this up, just had not the time to do it yet. We are already exhausted from the move to ME from SM. This is a new box ME is on and is quad cpu, 8g ram, 10k rpm raptor raid 10. We only have under 50 domains and under 200 users total.

Im just looking for the easy for now till we decide the best long term solution.

Thanks for the reply.

rockinthesixstring

Post by rockinthesixstring » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:46 am

ASSP can be up and running in less than 30 minutes. Check out this ASSP Installer for Windows.

http://www.asspsmtp.org/forums/index.php?topic=637.0
Chase
Server 2008 Standard (x64)
ME Ent 6.51 (SQL Server 2008 Config)
ASSP 1.9