MxScan/ClamAV firewall issue?

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
karenk

MxScan/ClamAV firewall issue?

Post by karenk »

I've just installed MxScan Lite Edition. When I click the "Test" button on the AntiVirus/Clam AntiVirus Settings tab I get this error message:

Error in [ClamD_SocketScan]! No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:3310

I'm running Windows Server 2003 with the Windows Firewall enabled. I've tried creating an exception for TCP port 3310 with a scope of 127.0.0.1, and added exceptions for clamdscan.exe and clamscan.exe, to no avail.

Any ideas?
Karen Kenworthy
Karen's Power Tools Newsletter
http://www.karenware.com/

karenk

Re: MxScan/ClamAV firewall issue?

Post by karenk »

karenk wrote:I'm running Windows Server 2003 with the Windows Firewall enabled.
Hmm... I just disabled the Windows Firewall and got the same error message (target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:3310). Now I'm *really* stumped.

BTW, I'm running F-Prot Antivirus, but it's not actively scanning the file system. Just for good measure, I added the \Program Files\MxUpTime\MxScanME\temp folder to its exclusion list. Still no joy.
Karen Kenworthy

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

karenk wrote:
karenk wrote:I'm running Windows Server 2003 with the Windows Firewall enabled.
Hmm... I just disabled the Windows Firewall and got the same error message (target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:3310). Now I'm *really* stumped.

BTW, I'm running F-Prot Antivirus, but it's not actively scanning the file system. Just for good measure, I added the \Program Files\MxUpTime\MxScanME\temp folder to its exclusion list. Still no joy.
Hi KarenK

You should disable any ResidentAVs (ie F-prot) and try again. As stated in the docs it is not recommended to have a ResidentAV running on the same server as there could be issues. I've seen certain instances where the residentAV would block/prevent the ClamD from loading correctly. After disabling the AV a reboot might also be required

If the above still does not help and if you are a Pro. user do open a ticket with us and we should be able to pinpoint the issue

Cheers
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

karenk

Post by karenk »

polarisie wrote:You should disable any ResidentAVs (ie F-prot) and try again. As stated in the docs it is not recommended to have a ResidentAV running on the same server as there could be issues. I've seen certain instances where the residentAV would block/prevent the ClamD from loading correctly. After disabling the AV a reboot might also be required
Thanks for the reply!

F-Prot is installed, but it isn't doing anything. I have disabled all its features, including the "Resident Shield" and even scheduled scans. Short of uninstalling the program there's not much more I can to to get it out of the picture.
polarisie wrote:If the above still does not help and if you are a Pro. user do open a ticket with us and we should be able to pinpoint the issue
Not a pro user (yet). And not likely to upgrade unless I can get the antivirus feature working. Thought there might be a known workaround for this issue but I guess not.
Karen Kenworthy

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

karenk wrote:
polarisie wrote:You should disable any ResidentAVs (ie F-prot) and try again. As stated in the docs it is not recommended to have a ResidentAV running on the same server as there could be issues. I've seen certain instances where the residentAV would block/prevent the ClamD from loading correctly. After disabling the AV a reboot might also be required
Thanks for the reply!

F-Prot is installed, but it isn't doing anything. I have disabled all its features, including the "Resident Shield" and even scheduled scans. Short of uninstalling the program there's not much more I can to to get it out of the picture.
polarisie wrote:If the above still does not help and if you are a Pro. user do open a ticket with us and we should be able to pinpoint the issue
Not a pro user (yet). And not likely to upgrade unless I can get the antivirus feature working. Thought there might be a known workaround for this issue but I guess not.
Hi KarenK

The latest version of MxScan is bundled together with a standard Win32 build of ClamD. In the past a cygwin build was included which could have caused compatiblity issues, but this is not an issue anymore. Nothing out of the the ordinary here. I wish i could help more but without going into specifics like log files, environment, hardware/software version,etc its difficult to tell (which is why a ticket is required). The included readme.rtf file covers the basics that you should look into.

You can also check your Windows Event Viewer for clues. In the past the knowns issues have been :

1. Other antivirus/spyware/softwareFirewalls programs blocking ClamD from starting (most likely)
2. Outdated windows software/patches not applied
3. DEP (which is covered in the docs)

Cheers
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com