ASSP & LDAP

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
Post Reply
Marconius
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:55 pm

ASSP & LDAP

Post by Marconius » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:36 pm

I posted this in the Enterprise area as well, but I thought I would put it here so others might see it too.


Hello,

I have upgraded recently from 2.x Mailenable Enterprise to 4.22 Enterprise Premium. We have ASSP working in front of Mailenable working as expected, but I saw that Mailenable now has LDAP lookup so I wanted to configure ASSP to do lookups. So what I wanted to know is does someone have this working for ME and what is the values you put in on your ASSP config. I saw some values in a KB article for a Barracuda LDAP config http://www.mailenable.com/kb/Content/Ar ... D=me020528, but I wasn't 100% sure where to put them aside from the obvious ones.

The values it asks for are:

LDAP Host: (already entered my ME server's hostname)
LDAPLogin: cn=Directory Manager,o=MailEnable
LDAPPassword: (got this from the slapd.conf file in LDAP directory)
LDAP Version: 3 (Assp sets default to 3.)

LDAP Root container: ?
Assp's Description: The LDAP lookup will use this container and all sub-containers to match the query.
The literal DOMAIN is replaced by the domain part of SMTP recipient (eg. domain.com) during the search.
For example: DC=yourcompany,DC=com.
If you use DOMAIN here, you must check "LDAP failures return false" below or non local domains will be treated as local.

LDAP Filter for Local Domains: ?
Assp's Description: This filter is used to query the LDAP database. This strongly depends on the LDAP structure.
The filter must return an entry if the domain must be relayed.
The literal DOMAIN (case sensitive) will be replaced by the domain name during the search.

LDAP Filter for Local Addresses: ?
Assp's Description: This filter is used to query the LDAP database. This strongly depends on the LDAP structure.
The filter must return an entry if the recipient address matches with that of any user.
The literal EMAILADDRESS is replaced by the fully qualified SMTP recipient (eg. user@example.com) during the search.
The literal USERNAME (case sensitive) is replaced by the user part of SMTP recipient (eg. user) during the search.
The literal DOMAIN (case sensitive) is replaced by the domain part of SMTP recipient (eg. domain.com) during the search.
For example: (proxyaddresses=smtp:EMAILADDRESS)


Thanks for any assistance anyone can give,
Marcus

Marconius
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:55 pm

Re: ASSP & LDAP

Post by Marconius » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:16 am

After a little experimentation I found a solution that works, so I'll post it in case anyone else needs this.

I am using ME 4.22 Enterprise Premium, and ASSP 1.7.1.2.
My setting for ME's LDAP is: Source: All E-mail Addresses

To make ASSP do LDAP lookups on Mailenable Enterprise, here are the settings you will need for ASSP:

LDAP Host: *hostname or IP of ME Enterprise Server, this can vary if you are running ASSP on the same machine or a different one
LDAPLogin: cn=Directory Manager,o=MailEnable
LDAPPassword: *rootpw from the slapd.conf file in LDAP directory in ME
LDAP Version: 3
LDAP Root container: *leave it blank
LDAP Filter for Local Domains: *leave it blank
LDAP Filter for Local Addresses: (mail=EMAILADDRESS)

The LDAP Filter for Local Addresses I started with was a rewritten one from the Barracuda config in the KB. I had rewritten it for ASSP to initially be:

(|(othermailbox=EMAILADDRESS)(othermailbox=smtp:EMAILADDRESS)(proxyaddresses=EMAILADDRESS)(proxyaddresses=smtp:EMAILADDRESS)(mail=EMAILADDRESS)(userPrincipalName=EMAILADDRESS)(smtp=EMAILADDRESS))

Then I started shaving down parts of it until I found what was needed, by removing parts of the query and see when it stops working. I also had to flush the LDAP cache in ASSP after each successful attempt so that it would force a lookup each time. Each time I would put in my testaccount1 as the TO, testaccount2 as the CC address and testaccount3 as the BCC, to make sure the filter would work for any type of address lookup. Also in case anyone is wondering, all of my test accounts were at different domains, this was important because my company has approximately 20+ different email domains.

Hope this help someone else,
Marcus

Post Reply