Out-of-Office email automation for MailEnable [v 0.1.8]

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
intrust

ME on Windows Server 2008

Post by intrust »

We are using POP.

Something interesting to mention: I used process monitor to check if/how the delivery event is accessing the script, and strangely enough, didn't find a single instance of any application trying to execute either the script or cscript.exe.

Any ideas?

Seppy

Post by Seppy »

@Intrust
Windows Script Host is installed on the Server?
can you start Script in Dos Window?

intrust

Post by intrust »

Seppy,

I can run test scripts using either cscript or wscript through the command line. Since the out-of-office.wsf script uses variables passed by MailEnable, manually executing the script hasn't worked. If you know what variables to set, I'll be happy to give them a shot.

Does the script need to be executed as a user? I'm wondering if the problem is because MailEnable's services are running under the local system account instead of a service account. I've seen crazier things, and wouldn't be surprised if server 08's additional security features & process isolation were causing issues.

Also, I'm sorry for neglecting to mention this earlier, but the server is also a domain controller.

Hope this helps.

SkullCo

Post by SkullCo »

Just a little info on my config, so hopefully we can rule out some issues...

I am running W2K3 Web Edition - no AD installed. We are using POP accounts (we have 1 IMAP user, but they haven't needed the feature, so we have only experienced the problem with POP).

Scripts, in general, run fine. The Autoresponse is getting updated (via the script), but the confirmation message is never received in order to activate the autoresponse. So the script appears to be working up to the point where it inserts the confirmation message into the queue. That's why I suspect it's a permissions problem, as ME (I think 3.5 and up) use the IME_ADMIN account to manage the mail, where that wasn't the case previously. The problem was just recently brought to my attention, but it may have been going on for a while now.

Is there a way of forcing the script to impersonate IME_ADMIN? Just a hunch but I'd like to give it a try. I'm not that experienced at creating WSH scripts, so I'm not sure of how to make that work.

Seppy

Post by Seppy »

Intrust

Sorry my fault, here the variables for use the script in a Dos Box.

3 variables you need
Postofficename Mailbox MessageID

cscript.exe "%directorypath%\out-of-office.wsf" Test.de out-of-office A878F32E64AF4ED5B2EF6C94784B1AB1.MAI

the MessageId must exist in the out-of-office Mailbox

the Problem is that the Script dont realy send a mail to the user, but the script generates a new message directly in the users postoffice

I think its a Permission Problem to allow the script generate a file in the users Postoffice

Creaton

Re: Out-of-Office email automation for MailEnable [v 0.1.8]

Post by Creaton »

Seppy wrote:

the Problem is that the Script dont realy send a mail to the user, but the script generates a new message directly in the users postoffice

Thank you. Now i got the clue. The actual reason is very much of help.
Last edited by Creaton on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NickInOz

Doesn't work for webmail users?

Post by NickInOz »

Ok, so I know the option is there for webmail users to play with their Autoresponders (If I have turned it on) without needing to use OOO but my users are lazy and want to just be able to send an e-mail, but it doesn't seem to work from webmail.
They send the message, the script generates a response but it never appears in webmail, it is being generated and is sitting in their inbox on the server but never appears in webmail.
So obviously the OOO script bypasses the normal delivery mechanisms.

Is there a way to modify the script to make it possible to use OOO with webmail clients as well?

Seppy

Post by Seppy »

Hi,

Webmail work with a Index.xml file and witout a change in index.xml the webmail client dont see these E-Mail.
I think it´s not possible to change OOO script to generate a new Index.xml.

Best regards

cjard

Post by cjard »

I wonder if this script can be changed wo work around a problem in ME, where mailboxes who are group members will emit an autoresponse if anyone emails a group..

i.e. 5 technicians leave and go on holiday at the same time.. anyone who emails help@somedomain will get spammed 5 autoresponders from the individual mailboxes even though they emailed the group.. Could the script be altered to remove the relevant address from any groups, and remember which groups were removed, and add it back in when the ooo is disabled?

masterdark116

Re: Doesn't work for webmail users?

Post by masterdark116 »

NickInOz wrote:Ok, so I know the option is there for webmail users to play with their Autoresponders (If I have turned it on) without needing to use OOO but my users are lazy and want to just be able to send an e-mail, but it doesn't seem to work from webmail.
They send the message, the script generates a response but it never appears in webmail, it is being generated and is sitting in their inbox on the server but never appears in webmail.
So obviously the OOO script bypasses the normal delivery mechanisms.

Is there a way to modify the script to make it possible to use OOO with webmail clients as well?
Excuse me, can you give me the detail step to use OOO to fix this problem???
:D :D :D
Vietnam tourism: http://www.vietnamtourism.org.vn

maikell

Re: Setup for ME Standard on Windows Server 2008

Post by maikell »

intrust wrote:Anyone been able to get this working in server 2008?
Hi!

I had the same problem, but I finally managed to solve it! :)
You have to start the 32-bit-version of cscript.

So in the delivery event you have to write instead of

Code: Select all

cscript.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Abwesenheitsnotiz\out-of-office.wsf"
the following:

Code: Select all

C:\windows\syswow64\cscript.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Abwesenheitsnotiz\out-of-office.wsf"
It works like a charm for me! :)
Windows Server 2008 64bit
MailEnable Standard 6.5
Plesk 11

Notes:
You have to download Version 0.1.8 from the developers site (http://mailenable.exhalus.net/out-of-of ... office.zip) f
On the mailenable website there is currently an old version. (0.1.6)

gxavier.bh

Post by gxavier.bh »

I think the developer had given up from this app. The app page is blocked by password and he is not came to help in a while. :(

To work around the problem of confirmation message, users must send e-mail to out-of-the-office maibox with cc to help desk (or it department). So Helpdesk (or it department) can respond "ok" to user. This will force ME to rebuild index.xml showing confirmation.

enthusha

Post by enthusha »

Hi!

I am currently using mailenable Version 8 Enterprise on windows 2008 R2 64 Bit . The Auto response email reply is only going to the senders who are in internal mailbox configured in Mailenable. When someone from outside domain such as gmail or yahoo is send mail no Auto reply is going for them

Thanks
sha

enthusha

Post by enthusha »

Hi!

I am currently using mailenable Version 8 Enterprise on windows 2008 R2 64 Bit . The Auto response email reply is only going to the senders who are in internal mailbox configured in Mailenable. When someone from outside domain such as gmail or yahoo is send mail no Auto reply is going for them

Thanks
sha

Greg Sillman

Post by Greg Sillman »

There are some specific differences between Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Enterprise. I'm using it because of corporate clients features. Though I've been pulling my hair out for a week because of DirectAccess!