MESpamC - MailEnable SpamAssassin Client [v 0.3.1 / 0.2.5]

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
someone_else

Hmm...

Post by someone_else »

avatel wrote:As soon as I set

Code: Select all

DeleteIfSpamScoreIsHigherThan=15
the following errors appear in Windows Event logs and my mails are no longer tagged :

MESpamC terminated due to an exception. EConvertError '16.4' is not a valid floating point value
Do you have any idea of the problem ?

That's very strage. I've not been able to reproduce this on my test systems. Can anyone else reproduce this?
MailEnable plugins:
DKeyEvent - DomainKeys/DKIM
MESpamC - SpamAssassin integration

avatel

Post by avatel »

I must add that my server is a Windows 2003 Standard French edition.

Maybe it could be something related to the way we handle decimal in France : ',' instead of '.' ?

someone_else

locale settings

Post by someone_else »

avatel wrote:Maybe it could be something related to the way we handle decimal in France : ',' instead of '.' ?
You're right, that does seem to cause problems. I'll have this fixed for the next release, which should be available in a couple of days.
MailEnable plugins:

someone_else

MESpamC 0.2.3

Post by someone_else »

MESpamC 0.2.3 and MESpamCmde 0.2.3 are now available.

changes in this version:
- added: option to AddHeaderBasedOnSpamScoreThresholds
- added: filtering options based on recipient domain
- fixed: bug on locale settings using comma decimal separator

notes:

- 'AddHeaderBasedOnSpamScoreThresholds' can be useful for post-MESpamC filtering; some email clients such as Mozilla Thunderbird have built-in support for SpamAssassin scoring, but for others, adding a header with a spam score literal might make it easier to filter results

- there are now two options available to filter messages based on recipient domain; 'SkipProcessingForTheseDomains' can be used to disable SMSpamC processing for specified domains, while 'SkipSAForTheseDomains' can be used to skip SA parsing, while still allowing pre-SA filters defined in MESpamC to be executed
MailEnable plugins:

someone_else

MESpamC 0.2.4

Post by someone_else »

MESpamC 0.2.4 and MESpamCmde 0.2.4 are now available.

changes in this version:
- added: spamd failover
- added: option to SkipSAIfSenderHasAuthenticated

notes:

- The 'Failover' value indicates the number of times MESpamC should requeue a message for spamd processing if the initial connection times out or fails in any other way; note that this value can be both positive and negative. If the value is positive (i.e. above zero) then MESpamC will not attempt to reconnect to the hosts which did not originally respond or which timed out; if the value is negative, all listed hosts will be retried.

Note that a positive failover number will have no effect if only one host is defined, whereas a negative number will.
MailEnable plugins:

someone_else

MESpamC 0.2.5

Post by someone_else »

MESpamC 0.2.5 and MESpamCmde 0.2.5 are now available.

changes in this version:
- added: option to AddHeaderWithMESpamCStatus
- added: sender whitelisting
- fixed: bug with content filtering
- fixed: spamd communication errors not being logged
- added: option to LogCommunication with spamd
- improved: whitelists can now be read from an external file
MailEnable plugins:

FuzzyWuzzy

Post by FuzzyWuzzy »

How does the ignore catch all parameter work?
Does it scan the "TO: " field checking if it contains "catchall*" or how does it operate?

someone_else

IgnoreCatchallAddresses

Post by someone_else »

FuzzyWuzzy wrote:How does the ignore catch all parameter work?
Does it scan the "TO: " field checking if it contains "catchall*" or how does it operate?
If you are referring to 'IgnoreCatchallAddresses', then no. Each recipient address in the message envelope is checked whether it is local, pseudo-local (catchall) or remote. This option (which takes a boolean value - 0 or 1) refers to catchall 'addresses'.

The idea is that some admins enable catchalls (in MailEnable) to use as honeypots (to trap spam), and in such cases, they might want to skip MESpamC spam checks (since they know it is spam) so as not to interfere with whatever end-solution they might have for these messages.
MailEnable plugins:

FuzzyWuzzy

Post by FuzzyWuzzy »

Alright, sounds good. But I am "fuzzed" by how the MEspamC checks if its a honeypot?

Another question: Just noticed something might have been changed on our servers.
Should it say: c:\location\mespamc.exe
or: c:\location\mespamc.exe %1 %2
In the MTA "Program to execute on mail file" of Mail Enable?
Whats the differens?

someone_else

Post by someone_else »

FuzzyWuzzy wrote:Alright, sounds good. But I am "fuzzed" by how the MEspamC checks if its a honeypot?
Say your server receives a message for 'bill@yourdomain.com'. If in MailEnable you have a mailbox set up for 'bill@yourdomain.com' then the address is local; if yourdomain.com is indeed a domain you have set up in ME, but there is no 'bill@yourdomain.com' mailbox defined, then that message is considered to be received through a catchall address.

FuzzyWuzzy wrote:Another question: Just noticed something might have been changed on our servers. Should it say: c:\location\mespamc.exe or: c:\location\mespamc.exe %1 %2 in the MTA "Program to execute on mail file" of Mail Enable?
The answer is: 'c:\location\mespamc.exe'.
%1 %2 are parameter pointers used in shell scripts (CMD or BAT files).
MailEnable plugins:

burningice

Application Error

Post by burningice »

Hi

Im having some problems with my MESpamC installation.

Im running Mail Enable Enterprise and is using MESpamC in the MTA Pickup event. SpamAssasin/spamd is running on localhost.

It seems that MESpamC is checking and filtering for spam as it should, 90% of my spam is marked. But on the server i keep getting an Application Error popup, between 10 and 60 every hour :(

The message says

Application popup: mespamc.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x00e12acf" referenced memory at "0x00f84ff8". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Are you aware of this problem, or of other programs running on the server may cause this?

Im running MySQL 5 and ServU FTP and have Perl installed.

davex2cms

Post by davex2cms »

Having the exact same error.

Application popup: mespamc.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x00e62acf" referenced memory at "0x00fd51b0". The memory could not be "read".

The server is running SpamD.exe (win32 distribution) which is working ok.
Mailenable Enterprise, with MYSQL as data provider.
Windows 2003 server.

There are no errors in the mespamc.log file.

Spamd logs report that MESpamC connected then disconnected ok without any problems.

Thanks for your help,

someone_else

debugging

Post by someone_else »

Do you have spamdIO logging enabled? if so, disable that and see if the error persists.

If it does, then try and see if the error is raised on all messages or just some; if it is the latter, then try and see if there is some common pattern to messages which are causing errors.
MailEnable plugins:

Zento

Post by Zento »

Hello all.

I'm trying to use SpamAssassin, and I've a problem that don't know how to solve. Maybe is caused because I'm using the Win32 SpamD version, and takes more than a minute to complete the tests.

Most of spam messages get into Quarantine folder, but sometimes they not, and something like one of this two appears in MESpamC.log:

2006/11/07 12:38:57 message 0A4A665E29D64477A2AEBF4AAC1DD002.MAI has been moved or deleted before processing was complete

2006/11/07 11:49:55 received truncated reply from 127.0.0.1
2006/11/07 11:49:55 communication with spamd host 127.0.0.1 did not complete successfully
In the MTA debug log, this is what I can read:

11/07/06 11:49:09	Processing file 7793EC6EC57249A1969455C6575418A5.MAI from queue SMTP
11/07/06 11:49:09	Pre Pickup Event executing: C:\Archivos de programa\MESpamC\MESpamC.exe 7793EC6EC57249A1969455C6575418A5.MAI SMTP
11/07/06 11:50:09	ME-MTA-ERROR: Pre Pickup Event (C:\Archivos de programa\MESpamC\MESpamC.exe 7793EC6EC57249A1969455C6575418A5.MAI SMTP) needed to be terminated because its execution time exceeded the specified limit. You should consider reducing the number of transfer threads or contact the provider of the pickup event for support.
11/07/06 11:50:13	ME-MTA-ROUTE [7793EC6EC57249A1969455C6575418A5.MAI] from [SMTP] Connector queued to [SF] Connector as [C3EC369B63E44949B99FE1FDF5E3E93E.MAI]
So, I think MTA terminates MESpamC query after 60 seconds, altough in MESpamC.ini is set Timeout=300.

It's possible to increase MTA timeout?

Time for trying another method to install SpamAssassin? How much time takes to test a message in your servers?

Thanks in advance.

someone_else

Post by someone_else »

Zento, there is obviously a problem if the MTA pickup event timeout in MailEnable is lower than the time it takes MESpamC to fully process a message (note that the 'Timeout' setting in MESpamC has no effect on the ME pickup event timeout limit). In ME Standard, at least, there does not seem to be any way to change the pickup event timeout, though fact is I've never had a problem with the implicit value. If your messages take longer than a minute (or whatever the MTA pickup event timeout limit happens to be) to process, then there is obviously a problem with your SpamAssassin server.

The actual time it takes for SA to process a message will depend, of course, on many factors, such as the hardware it runs on, and how many (and what sort of) tests are being run on each message. Depending on your setup, processing might take anywhere from one second up to (from my experience) something like 30 seconds or so, but I myself have never seen SA processing take longer than that, even under the most extreme circumstances.

My advice (again, and always) is to run the SpamAssassin server under Linux, be that a real or virtual server. If anyone wants a preconfigured VMWare SpamAssassin virtual server image, send me a PM, and I'll give you a link to one.
MailEnable plugins: