COM Surrogate errors

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
bagfull

Post by bagfull »

It has not helped in anyway... the error is still there... :(

bagfull

Post by bagfull »

This error has not stopped in any manner. Since MailEnable keeps on working even after this error pops up... I want to know will it be safe to keep on using MailEnable along with this error (Till we get a final solution)... I want to know urgently as my 30 day trial will expire within few days and want to buy only if it will be safe to run on win 2K3 server.

json

Post by json »

Bump that, I'm about to buy too, but also needs to run it on a w2k3 server. Apart from the error (which I get sometimes when I log-on the server), everything seems to work fine, or ???

regards,
J.

ccaldwell

Post by ccaldwell »

Has anyone looked at the error? That dllhost.exe is located here along with a txt file: C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\WER1.tmp.dir00\dllhost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\WER1.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

I don't see how this would have anything to do with IIS. But then I don't know much either.....

ccaldwell

RBogan

Post by RBogan »

IMPORTANT NOTICE FROM ADMIN:
The procedure outlined below may cause unrecoverable permission denied issues within the MailEnable MMC. As a result you should not use this procedure until such time as this notice is removed
Here's the solution...

1) Click Start, go to Run, type in "dcomcnfg".

2) When the Com Services MMC pops up, expand Component Services, then expand Computers.

3) Right-click on "my computer" and go to properties.

4) Click the "Default Com Security" tab

5) Under "Access Permissions", click the "Edit Default" button.

6) If it isn't present, add the IWAM_COMPUTER account to the user/group list...making sure you CHECK the box marked "allow" for access permission.

7) Go back to the "Default Com Security" tab.

8) Under "Launch Permissions", click the "Edit Default" button.

7) If it isn't present, add the IWAM_COMPUTER account to the user/group list...making sure you again check the box marked "allow" for launch permission.

8) Also, add the IUSR_COMPUTER account to the user/group list if it isn't already present...making sure you check the box marked "allow" for launch permission.

9) Reboot server to apply changes.

10) Happy Computing.

That's how I solved this problem.

Incidentally, for those that may not know...replace "COMPUTER" in my examples above with your ACTUAL COMPUTER NAME. Thus, if your computer name is SERVER100, the entries would be IUSR_SERVER100 and IWAM_SERVER100...and not literally IUSR_COMPUTER and IWAM_COMPUTER. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence (for those that already knew this)...but I'm making sure the less experienced people are clear on this.

Good luck,

kdehl113

com error

Post by kdehl113 »

Hey RBogan, did you get the 419 error after you tried this fix?

Kevin

RBogan

Re: com error

Post by RBogan »

kdehl113 wrote:Hey RBogan, did you get the 419 error after you tried this fix?

Kevin
Yes...I still get the 419 errors...but my com surrogate errors are gone. Perhaps a coincidence...as I think someone else said they applied these steps and still had com problems...

<confused>

kdehl113

com error

Post by kdehl113 »

My setup was working except for com errors, until I tried your fix. Your fix resolved the com surrogate, but Ithen started receiving the 419. Since mine is still a test server I reloaded it, figured until there is a fix I would rather have com surrogate errors. Seems like maybe your fixes permissions might be conflicting somewhere, maybe just a coincidence. I'm not much of a programmer so I really don't now. If you've got some time and another server laying around, give that a try just to verify.

Kevin

(ps I'm in no way blamming you, just for clarification)

RBogan

Re: com error

Post by RBogan »

kdehl113 wrote:My setup was working except for com errors, until I tried your fix. Your fix resolved the com surrogate, but Ithen started receiving the 419. Since mine is still a test server I reloaded it, figured until there is a fix I would rather have com surrogate errors. Seems like maybe your fixes permissions might be conflicting somewhere, maybe just a coincidence. I'm not much of a programmer so I really don't now. If you've got some time and another server laying around, give that a try just to verify.

Kevin

(ps I'm in no way blamming you, just for clarification)
It's all good ;) I just want a fix...

kdehl113

com errors

Post by kdehl113 »

I think I found something kind of interesting, need some one else to verify. Log into your server, and DON'T log off. Just lock it, and the ncheck your event viewer after a while. I did this yesterday for S & G to see if it was possible a permission type problem. Possible some system account not having all abilities as an administrator.

Just need someone else to verify, this may or may not prove helpful.

Kevin

Alyson_J

Post by Alyson_J »

With the latest upgrade - I've not noticed any COM errors in over 30 hours since installing it.
Aly

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

There is a trial hotfix for COM+ Surrogate available at: http://www.mailenablecorp.com/hotfix/WMCS-HF3.zip

Unfortunately, this hotfix requres manually removing the MailEnable webmail object from COM+, replacing it and Re-registering. The procedure for doing so is contained in the readme.
Regards, Andrew

RBogan

Post by RBogan »

Alyson_J wrote:With the latest upgrade - I've not noticed any COM errors in over 30 hours since installing it.
What upgrade? A MS hotfix? This ME hotfix? Or what?

kdehl113

com errors

Post by kdehl113 »

Well so far the event logs are the way I like them, EMPTY. I think mailenable may hae found the cure. Good job guys.

Kevin

cyx

yippie!!!

Post by cyx »

thanks guys.
I was having this problem and now ---- fixed!
I just did the procedure of removing all the COM+
objects and then replacing the new DLL in the hot fix
and then putting all the objects back.

fixed!
I noticed something wierd though:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: MEPOPS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 10/7/2003
Time: 12:30:54 AM
User: N/A