MERADMS service installed with wrong directory

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
bellaonline

MERADMS service installed with wrong directory

Post by bellaonline »

I'm moving hosting companies yet again so that means a fresh install of MailEnable professional on this new system. I'm having a few problems with it, and one thing I see is that I can't get the MERADMS service started. It says the file doesn't exist. Which is true - the properties for this service are pointing at the c:\program files\ location, but that's not where I installed it. I installed MailEnable in a c:\MailEnable directory to make it easier to manage the log files.

How do I fix this?

Thanks!

Lisa

bellaonline

Re: MERADMS service installed with wrong directory

Post by bellaonline »

To describe some of the issues, in case they aren't related, I have emails stacking up in my SMTP outgoing which aren't going to their destinations. When I send email in to an address from outside, I don't see it showing up anywhere in the system. Also while I can use ASP to a local address like my aspsisfun.com email address, I can't send to outside addresses unless I turn on the 'allow relaying for local addresses' option. When I turn that on they go out fine. When I turn that off I get ASP errors. Even though I do have the IP address of this machine entered as allowed to relay.

I can send ASP mail from on this system to an email address within the system, so "contact me" forms work fine.

Any thoughts gladly appreciated!

Lisa

bellaonline

Post by bellaonline »

I did try the reinstall/repair route but that didn't help - the service entry still points to the wrong location.

... trying a reboot ... :)

Lisa

bellaonline

Post by bellaonline »

OK reinstalling and rebooting took care of the service problem. All services are now correctly pointed and are up and running.

I still have the issue where ASP cannot send off-machine (to a non-local address). I do have relay set to allow the local IP addresses to relay. It gives errors - error '8004020f'

But if I temporarily turn on relay for local addresses the message goes through. So it's definitely something about that relay area.

Also I still cannot get it to take in messages from the outside. When I send email to an on-server address, I don't get it.

Any ideas welcome!

Lisa

bellaonline

Post by bellaonline »

SMTP log says this:

04/08/15 09:33:51 SMTP-IN 61C34297558F4775A3ABD11F3A90BA47.MAI 888 ::1 RCPT RCPT TO: <(MYEMAILADDRESS)> 503 This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that the domain or address is defined for this server. 235 30

So that ::1 is showing up where the IP address should be. How is that getting set to ::1 ?

I'm on a Windows 2012 virtual server.

Lisa

bellaonline

Post by bellaonline »

Absolute wildness :). I put in ::1 as a relay address. It turned it into some ginormous long string - but it actually works. I can now have the ASP code on the server send email out to other people.

So the remaining issue is that I can't send mail IN to an address on this server. I've looked in all three SMTP logs and I don't see any entries in there for the incoming test mails I'm sending in. Thoughts?

bellaonline

Post by bellaonline »

This tester page seems to be broken, I can't get it to work on either Chrome or IE.

http://www.mailenable.com/Tools/memaillookup.asp

Lisa

bellaonline

Post by bellaonline »

On this ME KB page, the URL no longer exists for the DNS tester.

http://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/ar ... D=ME020239

Lisa

bellaonline

Post by bellaonline »

Aha, found a tester. And I found that the firewall port wasn't open. I opened the port and I am now set.

I'm talking to my hosting company about the reverse DNS record.

So I think I am set. I hope this thread helps other people who hit the same issue.

Lisa