Mail server behind proxy

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
Justin

Mail server behind proxy

Post by Justin »

Hi all,

I've been using mail enable for a number of months now, and cannot express enough how happy I am with it. I have recommended it to a number of people, as it has been recommended to me.

Unfortunately, I now have to cater for a new problem, and was wondering if anybody could possibly help me out...

I would like to set up my mail server behind a proxy. i.e. I wish to have 1 machine exposed to the internet, with my mail server on the internal lan. I have toyed with the idea if putting a mail enable server on the proxy server, and routing all the mail to the internal machine, however, this will prevent me from accessing my mail from outside my local network (please correct me if I am wrong).

Does anybody know if it is possible to set up the proxy and mail servers so that the mail server can be on the internal lan, but the mail accessable from the internet.

Thanks
Justin

railwayvenkat

seeing internal mail server mails from internet

Post by railwayvenkat »

maybe, webmail component which is supposed to come along with Prof version can be hosted on the proxy server to retrieve mail from internal mailserver.
This requires that webmail component should be capable of being hosted on a different server. This issue, I remember was raised in an earlier thread. since I am still struggling with standard version, perhaps admin can clarify the issue.
My penny's worth.
venkata subramanian

totomds

Post by totomds »

Justin,

The answer is that yes you can do it! But it will take a bit of work...

1. Set up MailEnable on the internal computer as if it were an external computer.

2. On the proxy server install RelayTCP:
http://download.com.com/3000-2155-27847 ... ag=lst-0-2

3. Set this program to relay ports 25 and 110 to the internal computer. If you need help using this program feel free to ask. I suggest you make sure after reboots that is still running as I remember it does not auto start, perhaps you could make a batch file for it.

4. Test from a free e-mail account that you set everything up right.

That should take care of your problem letting you recieve both internal and external e-mails as well as checking them outside. Remember though that this is an extra hop because of what you want to set up...thus some performance loss may result. If you have a dsl router you can configure it similiarly.

-toto

Justin

Thanks

Post by Justin »

Hi all,

Thank you for the excellent feed back, looks like I now have a couple of viable options. Thank you all.

Regards,
Justin