Watching for Spammers

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
bellaonline

Watching for Spammers

Post by bellaonline »

One of my editors doesn't check her email often. A spammer hacked into her account and began deluging the world with spam via it. However, since she wasn't checking her email, she never saw the bouncebacks. And I didn't realize until a number of days later when the disk space started filling up for no reason.

Is there any way to set some sort of an admin alert so that admin (i.e. me) gets notified if someone gets bouncebacks at a certain rate? So even if they don't pay attention, I get an alert?

Lisa

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Watching for Spammers

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

You can set alerts within the metray utility under the "Alerts" tab. The alerts will be triggered when it detects a large spike in messaging queues for each service.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

bellaonline

Post by bellaonline »

OK, so I've had another spammer break into an email account. I'm playing catchup after the fact with the alerts.

On my regular admin I have a lockout system. If someone tries a wrong password three times, that account is completely locked until I unlock it. It prevents hackers from guessing all day long.

Is there a way to implement that on MailEnable? Right now they can just keep guessing on an account until they get in, yes?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Servers > localhost proprieties under the "policies" tab. Lockout user option.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

bellaonline

Post by bellaonline »

Right, but that's just for an hour, right? And then they start up again? Or am I misunderstanding it?

Lisa

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Correct.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support