Calendar Limitation - Recurring Events

Post your MailEnable suggestions here.
sagelike

Calendar Limitation - Recurring Events

Post by sagelike »

Hi there,

I have a client who uses iCal to manage events which syncs with webmail and other devices and we've run into a serious limitation with recurring events.

Once a recurring event is setup, it may be necessary to change the date or time for 1 instance of a recurring event but leave all other instances the same.

You can change every instance in a series of recurring events with iCal or Webmail but not just one. If you try to do this in iCal, it instantly reverts back to it's previous state. I also tried changing the date or time of the leading instance of a recurring event in webmail and then specify the day of the recurring event manually so that the 'next event' changes in the calendar but all others remain the same and the 'next event' was removed completely but all recurring events thereafter remained the same.

This is a serious limitation and causing my client some grief as this kind of change is frequently required.

Any chance you can make this change a priority for the next update? It's a big request I realize but I imagine ME users run into this problem.

Thanks
Glenn

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Calendar Limitation - Recurring Events

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

For iCal (CalDAV protocol) editing of reoccurring exceptions was fixed and will be inclusive in the next minor release. Web mail however does not support exceptions for reoccurring events.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

sagelike

Post by sagelike »

Thanks for the update Ian.

When you say Webmail does not support exceptions for reoccurring events, does this mean that you can make a change to one instance of a recurring event in iCal but it will not show up in webmail and/or that you cannot make that kind of change via webmail?

Also, any plans to add this in future for webmail?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

That is correct. Future revisions of the web mail client will support this but requires a bit of work and a new calendar control. I don't have a time frame for this sorry.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

sagelike

Post by sagelike »

Thanks Ian.

As long as the iCal issue is fixed relatively soon so that clients can edit a single instance of a recurring event within iCal or Outlook, then clients will be happy. Few if any are trying to edit an single instance of a recurring event via webmail at the moment.

sagelike

Post by sagelike »

Hi Ian,

Just following up on this.

Will the upcoming 9.5 release address the Calendar issues we discussed in this post?

Thanks
Glenn

sagelike

Post by sagelike »

Bump?

sagelike

Post by sagelike »

Hi Ian,

Can you provide an answer to this?

Thanks
Glenn

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

No its not changed in web mail in regards to be able to edit reoccurring. This wont change in the short term as the calendar control needs to be replaced for this. We are looking into it for future revisions of the web mail client but at this stage it wont happen in the short term.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

sagelike

Post by sagelike »

Thanks for your reply Ian.

How about editing a single instance of a recurring event within Outlook or other activesync/ical application and sending out Calendar invite/update notifications? Or is webmail bound to this process so that you can't fix the process without also fixing webmail? webmail is less important since most clients use Outlook or some other activesync/ical application.

And just to add my two cents, I'd say this is a fairly important function and a serious limitation in Mailenable since it gets to core calendaring functionality.

Glenn

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

iCal, along with the EAS and MAPI all support reoccurring exceptions. Its only Web mail that does not support this. Have you tried with the other clients and services you mentioned?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support