Outgoing mail is stuck in SMTP Outbound queue (MailEnable v9.16)

Raise/discuss any potential issues with MailEnable for consideration in project issue register.
steph

Outgoing mail is stuck in SMTP Outbound queue (MailEnable v9.16)

Post by steph »

Outgoing mail is stuck in SMTP Outbound queue. I have got a mail client to successfully login to MailEnable and it will send, but the messages never makes it out of the Outbound queue. Inbound is fine, the account receives email - it just won’t send.

Tried everything I’ve found by searching and nothing solves it.

Please does anyone have an idea of how I resolve this? (MailEnable v9.16)

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Outgoing mail is stuck in SMTP Outbound queue (MailEnable v9.16)

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

You need to inspect the SMTP activity and debug log files to determine what is occurring when the message is being transmitted to the remote mail server. Search the logs for the message ID's you see in the outbound queue.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

dewar

Post by dewar »

@MailEnable-Ian

I am suffering a similar issue with STD 9.17.

Emails are correctly accepted from users, go through the system, and end up stuck at the SMTP outbound queue. The "Last Error" is the normal "The socket connection to the remote host failed. The host was either....".

Lucky some of the emails are heading to another server which I have access to, so I am able to look at the logs on both sides.

The receiving server has no record of any connection attempts.

The sending server is not creating any log entries to indicate that the send was even attempted.

If I try "Send All Now" from the context menu on the SMTP outbound queue, then the messages just increment "Retries" but do not create any more log entries.

So I stop all services, copy \QUEUES\SMTP\OUTBOUND to an external folder, and delete all of the files (control and messages). I then re-start all services and re-introduce the message files to the \QUEUES\SMTP\INBOUND\DROP folder. 75% of the messages are then delivered.

The remaining 25% (mileage varies) then get stuck again.

The queue then begins to build again, so I rinse and repeat.

I found 4 messages that would just not go at all. So I transferred them to another server (via FTP) and dropped them into the DROP folder there. They were successfully delivered immediately. (Other server is running STD 8.61. Yes I added the other server to the SPF record for the domain first.)

I know you are really busy, and while I would like an instant response I suspect this is not going to happen. So if I do not get a response soon, I am going to un-install and go with 9.12 (as this I have a download for, and it is working on another server).

Regards,
Clive

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Download the 9.17 kit again and upgrade as it was patched with a fix to SMTP that may address the problem your seeing. If it doesn't then we will need to look at the SMTP activity and debug log files at the date/time of the problem along with the details of the messages stuck in the outbound queue.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

dewar

Post by dewar »

Sorry for the delay in answering.

I did an un-install, and installed 9.12. That fixed the problem immediately.

As a side note, I could not download this from mailenable, as your "previous versions" only deals with prior major releases, and lower 9.xx versions cannot be found...

Clive