extra question marks in web mail

Raise/discuss any potential issues with MailEnable for consideration in project issue register.
biznetix

extra question marks in web mail

Post by biznetix »

We recently upgraded to 9.15 Enterprise from 8.x Enterprise.

Many of my customers immediately started complaining about question marks (?) showing up in their outbound emails when using web mail.

I was able to repeat and confirm this to be a problem. If the user is configured to use ASCII character set, then any double space is converted into a space and an extra character that appears as a question mark on the recipients email. As a workaround, I found that switching the character set to UTF-8 via the options tab in web mail eliminates this problem.

Additionally, I found that if a user has a reply-to address set to their own email address, then intermediate mail servers mangle the reply-to email address as if the domain name was missing. While I have not done enough testing to verify that this is not a bad configuration of the relay server, it is definitively a new behavior with the installation of 9.x.

Finally, there appears to be a return of a problem that changing email signatures deletes all the content of an original email during a reply.

Thanks-

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: extra question marks in web mail

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Have you since upgraded to 9.17? Do the problems still occur?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

SC-GC

Post by SC-GC »

Hi,
I am able to replicate as well since upgrading to 9.50 from 9.05

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Best way forward is to lodge a support ticket providing steps to reproduce each problem along with examples. You can lodge the ticket under "Upgrade".

https://www.mailenable.com/support/step1.asp
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

keith@vfsremote.com

Post by keith@vfsremote.com »

What was the solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue in my environment. We cannot allow removal of any custom theming in our production environment, so we usually cannot comply with the Mail Enable's first request regarding supports tickets like this.
We would like to know how to fix the issue.

Keith Damron

VisionFriendly.com
Keith Damron
Manager of Customer Support

VisionFriendly.com
1250 E. Diehl Road, Suite 302
Naperville, IL 60563
630 553-0000 x112
Keith@visionfriendly.com

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The issue is when using the ASCII charset. Navigate within the administration console to the web mail node and access the properties window. Under the "User" tab set the charset to "UTF-8" and recycle the MailEnabelAppPool in IIS. Also instruct your users to set their web mail charset under the web mail options page to UTF-8. This has been fixed for the next release but dont have a time frame for the release at this stage.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

keith@vfsremote.com

Post by keith@vfsremote.com »

Thanks Ian, Helpful as always. After putting some more time into it, we discovered this was the only user in the postoffice with this issue. I also checked other postoffices and found no other instance.

Since this appeared to be an isolated incident, we backed everything up and recreated with the users permission, and it seems to have resolved the issue for the user. I will also check what you have mentioned to ensure it is not going to become an ongoing issue

-Keith
Keith Damron
Manager of Customer Support

VisionFriendly.com
1250 E. Diehl Road, Suite 302
Naperville, IL 60563
630 553-0000 x112
Keith@visionfriendly.com