None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
Woodski

None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.

Post by Woodski »

Hi

I have installed a test server on LAN with Standard v9.72 (on Windows Server 2012 R2) with a single Post Office, single domain of the same name and one test user/mailbox. I have configured Connectors on the main Exchange server (also on the LAN) to send and receive to and from this test server.

Having set up an account in my Outlook profile for the ME test user, and my problem is that I cannot authenticate in order to send mail to the Exchange server, ie non-local domain; I get the 'None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.' error when setting up the Outlook account.

If I uncheck 'My outgoing server requires authentication' in the Outlook config, I can complete the account setup and the ME test account can send messages to itself. Of course, if I try to send a message to the Exchange Server I get the 503 error - Authentication is required.

As a further test (to prove connectivity between servers), if I set the ME SMTP relay to 'allow local sender addresses' - the message is successfully sent to Exchange.

After searching through the forum and Knowledge Base, I connected with Telnet and issued EHLO. The response is:

250-xxxxx, this server offers 2 extensions
250-SIZE 40960000
250 HELP

In the Advanced SMTP tab on ME all of the 'Allowed SMTP commands' are checked (as default). Additionally I checked the registry permissions for the extensions - these are all correct (the ME services are running as System). Also, there are no firewalls between client and server and the behaviour is the same if I Telnet 127.0.0.1 on the ME host server.

So it seems that ME is not advertising and allowing all of the SMTP commands; I have not found an answer that matches this case. Is there something I am missing, or is something amiss?

Thanks

Woodski

Further info on my test setup:

The test PO/domain name is made up, and outside of my internal DNS it doesn't exist. The server on which ME is installed is a member of the organisation Windows domain (different name from the test email domain).

As I couldn't find any destination-based routing, I have simply configured the ME SMTP Connector smarthost setting to send everything to the Exchange Server for initial testing. All routing on both servers is done by IP address.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

There must be a permissions based issue for the SMTP service not to advertise the AUTH extension. Download process monitor from https://download.sysinternals.com/files ... onitor.zip and configure the utility to filter on the MESMTPC.exe service. Restart the SMTP service and then check the output for any "Access Denied" errors on the SMTP extensions registry branch.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Woodski

Re: None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.

Post by Woodski »

Hi Ian

Thanks for your response.

There are no apparent permission issues with the following key and subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Mail Enable\Mail Enable\Connectors\SMTP\Extensions

Process Monitor shows MESMTPC.EXE enumerating the entries (see attached).

I set deny for System on the above 'Extensions' key and restarted the SMTP service, then Telnet to the server; issuing EHLO gets the response:

250 Unknown This server does not offer any extensions.

Any further ideas?!

Thanks

Woodski
Attachments
ProcMon_Reg_SMTPextRS.jpg
ProcMon_Reg_SMTPextRS.jpg (174.51 KiB) Viewed 11786 times

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

SYSTEM requires full access to the Extensions node. If you set it to deny the service will return the error your seeing in the telnet test.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Woodski

Post by Woodski »

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I temporarily set 'Deny' for System as a test to see if ME was correctly using the user account and reg key. This was after running the System Monitor test as you suggested.

As you can see from the screenshot in my previous post, there ordinarily seem to be no permissions issues on the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Mail Enable\Mail Enable\Connectors\SMTP\Extensions

reg key.

thanks

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Ok. Well the next step would be to gain access to the machine to check further. Perhaps private message me the details and ill take a quick look at.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support