IMAP Account Abnormal Activities

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
tanveer.hussain

IMAP Account Abnormal Activities

Post by tanveer.hussain »

Dear Admins / IAN,
This is one of serious issue in IMAP email account that some of unspecified time emails gone from inbox abnormally, which is reported from last month from user and still complaining time to time. Can you tell me where to check the user activities of email account where i can find all information of user such as delete emails and etc...

We are using Enterprise Premium 6.88 Version.

Thanks

Tanveer Hussain

tanveer.hussain

Re: IMAP Account Abnormal Activities

any update?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

If you require a managed response to your problems then it would be ideal lodging a support ticket so that you can provide the relevant data required for a technician to investigate. There have not been updates to version 6.x for a long time and therefore will not include the extensive work that has been done to IMAP in version 9 (performance improvements and bug fixes).There are no scheduled release dates for patches to version 6 at this point in time and therefore it would be beneficial looking into upgrading to version 9 so that you have all the latest fixes and updates to IMAP and reassess your problems from there.

Answering your question; you can open the IMAP activity and debug log files and review them although this will be time-consuming and tedious without knowing the UID's of the messages that were deleted etc. The client will also need to have troubleshooting logging enabled to associate the client logs with the IMAP server log files. There is an audit option you can enable within the "Localhost" properties window under the "Audit" tab in the administration console. Tick the option for "Event auditing is enabled for services". This will allow web mail users to view recent major activity related to their account and log if messages were deleted by other services.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

tanveer.hussain

Dear IAN,
User reported that his/her messages removed automatically. as i found an audit log from F:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Config\Audit\xxxxx.com\user.name and found below line in logs. kindly update what is it?

"IMAP EXPUNGE command on Folder: INBOX removed 16 items(s)"

above line found time to time with different item numbers such as 1 item 2 items etc... can you tell what is it?

Regards,

Tanveer Hussain

Jinglebens

Post by Jinglebens »

I have had a similar problem (or the same) with a couple of users, randomly. We were running ME enterprise 8.53 and after upgrading to latest 8.61 I did not receive more complains so far. I have also seen deletions (Expunge) in ME audit but could not identify why messages were deleted. Before upgrading to the latest version of ME I have tried changing from Thunderbird to Outlook on users' side with no effect though.

tanveer.hussain

As per my findings during imap account test on outlook and smartphone. whenever the imap user moved or delete emails than it generates

"IMAP EXPUNGE command on Folder: INBOX removed xx items(s)"
xx identify number of messages in numbers
but there is something missing in audit logs that there must be a destination folder mentioned either delete or move items from and to.

regards,

Tanveer Hussain
Last edited by tanveer.hussain on Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jinglebens

Post by Jinglebens »

Just re-discovered this issue again. MailEnable 8.62 Enterprise Premium, IMAP on latest Thunderbird. A message was in inbox around 13 hours, then was read and in few minutes just suddenly disappeared from inbox. Audit log contains EXPUNGE on 1 item, not sure if it is the vanished message. Did not find the message in recycle bin. Any ideas where else to check?

tanveer.hussain

as I have verified myself with logs that IMAP Expunge generates when deletion or moved the message performed. This happening with my user that suddenly messages disappeared without any activity performed and unable to get back those messages. on this thread only MailEnable official can respond and guide us.

I am using version Enterprise Premium 6.88 Version.

regards,

Tanveer Hussain