Reverse DNS Blacklisting

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
joshr799

Reverse DNS Blacklisting

Post by joshr799 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:30 pm

I have just implemented blacklisting from spamcop and spamhaus. I was curious if there was a way to move the messages to a folder instead of just deleting them for the first month so i could analyze the email for false positives, or if the log files would show the subject line that would be a great help. Is there a way to do this or am I just being paranoid.

Brett Rowbotham

Reverse DNS blacklisting

Post by Brett Rowbotham » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:41 am

Probably just paranoid.

If the IP address is found on the blacklist then the email is not received at all, the connection is just closed. There will therefore not be an email message to look at. Also, the connection is terminated before any subject line is received.

If the IP address has done enough to be included in spamcop and/or spamhaus then there should be no such thing as a false positive.

I find that using spamcop has reduced our spam email quite well and those that still get through are reported to spamcop so the IP will eventually appear on their lists.

Hope this helps

Hendie

Post by Hendie » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:29 pm

Another way you could do your "screening" for a month would be to disable blacklisting on ME, but load something like SpamPal between your mail client and ME. SpamPal has blacklist facilities, but will allow you to rather tag the messages for later inspection.