Bug?

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
totomds

Bug?

Post by totomds »

I have a mailbox with a size limit on it which is set up to catch a bunch of spam I get to that address.. The MailBox is constantly full and thus should not be receiving messages. I assumed this and have ignored it for a while now, however browsing around the MailEnable folder I noticed that the overflow e-mail was being passed on to \PostOffice\MailRoot\PostMaster even though the Postmaster@postoffice address is mapped somewhere else and the mail box does not exist!

Any thoughts on this?
-toto

rob

me too!

Post by rob »

I'm seeing the exact same problem. I actually came to this forum to search for a solution, and found only your problem... anyone have any ideas?

RECAP: setting a size limit on a mailbox does not actually cause offending mail to bounce back to sender (as help says it should); instead the incoming messages are stored in postmaster's mailbox....

Thanks!

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

The ability to optionally configure whether or not "overflow" mail is held by the postmaster will be available in the next minor release. Also, MailEnable will now notifiy the sender that their message could not be delivered because the quota is exceeded.
Regards, Andrew

totomds

Post by totomds »

Cool! Thanks, I appreciate the quick response/fix!

-toto

Todd

default quota exceeded message

Post by Todd »

Where is the default quota exceeded message stored?

puzzled

Post by puzzled »

We use ME Std 1.5018 with quotas on some, but not all mailboxes.

When a mailbox goes over quota, the message is getting delivered to the Postmaster box and the sender receives the Postmaster's autoresponder. The sender generally has no idea which message generated the error or why the Postmaster is responding.

How do we set the configuration so that mail is bounced back to the sender? Also, where does one configure the over-quota message?

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The 1.6 version (beta) adds the ability to either bounce the emails or send to postmaster. In both cases a message is send to the user telling them what happened. You can't change this message currently. The actual registry setting for choosing whether to bounce or send to postmaster is in 1.5018:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mail Enable\Mail Enable\Connectors\SF
"Postmaster Receives Mail When Quota Exceeded"=dword:00000001
Setting to 1 (default) goes to postmaster, setting to 0 bounces the message.

Merit

Post by Merit »

support wrote:The ability to optionally configure whether or not "overflow" mail is held by the postmaster will be available in the next minor release. Also, MailEnable will now notifiy the sender that their message could not be delivered because the quota is exceeded.
Was this change actually implemented? I can't seem to find it anywhere...