Importing to listserv

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
dlehman

Importing to listserv

Post by dlehman »

Is there any way to import names into a list? I have over 200 addresses and I don't look forward to inputting them all.

railwayvenkat

use excel

Post by railwayvenkat »

hi,
I have pasted below earlier postings inthis forum.
hope this helps

to bulk load a list of users first create a list with a few names in it...
then browse through the directorys and you will find a text file
that has the list of names in it...
use excel and create your list and then export it to txt file.
i did like 600 names in 3 minutes...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The lists and group files (the ones that contain the email addresses), are in the same format, with each line like:

[SMTP:emailaddress]

You can bulk load into the group using the administration program, but this hasn't been added into the list server component yet. You could add all the emails to a group and copy the group file to the list directory (and rename to the list name). The group file is found in the config directory

Mail Enable\Config\Postoffices\postofficename\Groups and lists is found in
Mail Enable\Config\Postoffices\postofficename\Lists

You must add lists and groups first via the admin, or they will not be recognised. Then you can add emails to the file.

Using Excel is the fastest way, due to the provider DLLs that handle the text files being a lot slower for adding large lists.
venkata subramanian

railwayvenkat

use excel

Post by railwayvenkat »

hi,
I have pasted below earlier postings inthis forum.
hope this helps

to bulk load a list of users first create a list with a few names in it...
then browse through the directorys and you will find a text file
that has the list of names in it...
use excel and create your list and then export it to txt file.
i did like 600 names in 3 minutes...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The lists and group files (the ones that contain the email addresses), are in the same format, with each line like:

[SMTP:emailaddress]

You can bulk load into the group using the administration program, but this hasn't been added into the list server component yet. You could add all the emails to a group and copy the group file to the list directory (and rename to the list name). The group file is found in the config directory

Mail Enable\Config\Postoffices\postofficename\Groups and lists is found in

You must add lists and groups first via the admin, or they will not be recognised. Then you can add emails to the file.

Using Excel is the fastest way, due to the provider DLLs that handle the text files being a lot slower for adding large lists.
venkata subramanian

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

As railwayvenkat says, the list content files are located in the following directory:

Each file in this directory will have the name {ListName}.TAB.
This file contains the list members (in ME's internal address formating) ie:
[CONNECTOR:Address] . Each list member is delimited by a new line.

(Note: ensure the last line does not contain a CRLF at the end of it though).
Regards, Andrew

totomds

Post by totomds »

Hey,

If you want I could make you a parser that will automatically generate the file for you... let me know, if so you'll need to paste some demo text that looks like the list you have now.

-toto

dlehman

Post by dlehman »

Well, I already converted my list, but a parser would be great in the future. Would be a handy feature. I figure you can assume all imported e-mails are SMTP or give them a chance to pick a protocol for all on the particular list that you are importing.

ozlady

TAB File import from external server

Post by ozlady »

support wrote:As railwayvenkat says, the list content files are located in the following directory:

Each file in this directory will have the name {ListName}.TAB.
This file contains the list members (in ME's internal address formating) ie:
[CONNECTOR:Address] . Each list member is delimited by a new line.

(Note: ensure the last line does not contain a CRLF at the end of it though).
Thanks for this last line - I was having trouble - I have a client who creates the TAB files and FTPs them to our mail server... we pick them up and dump them in the appropriate directory... our lists haven't been working since they started this... we are going to try the remove of the CRLF on the last line (we can see they are inlcuding this)... however does anyone else do this and is there anything else we should watch for?
OzLady
Remember amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic

ozlady

TAB File import from external server

Post by ozlady »

Just to polish off the conclusion from my previous post...

my client puts together TAB files on his web server based on a database that he has... it's a security policy between our organisations that we do it this way. At any rate... he runs the following:
strName = "d:\directory\someotherdirectory\lists\filename.tab"
set filetxt = filesys.CreateTextFile(strName, True)
path = filesys.GetAbsolutePathName(strName)
getname = filesys.GetFileName(path)

' after having created a database connection and calling the recordset...

while not rsreg.eof
strTemp = RSReg("email")
rsreg.movenext
if RSreg.eof then
filetxt.Write("[SMTP:" & strTemp & "]")
else
filetxt.WriteLine("[SMTP:" & strTemp & "]")
end if
wend

filetxt.Close
set filetxt=nothing
- so the file is created and we ftp all files from a directory on their web server that we have been given access to. Our client was using writeline for all text file writes, resulting in a blank crlf at the end of the file.

When this file was then saved to the appropriate directory in mailenable, the list ceased to work. By testing for the last line in the recordset, and using write instead of writeline, this problem ceased to exist and the list now works. Probably obvious for a lot of people, however I am posting code just in case it is useful, as loads of times I haven't had time to fiddle and the posting of code has helped me.

Thanks.
OzLady
Remember amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic