spam filtering suggestions

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
fmsupport

spam filtering suggestions

Post by fmsupport »

I already am aware of MEFilter, which im sure is a good product, but comes with practically no instructions. Also you have to download many different things, with no explaination how to utilize them. I am in need of a good spam filtering suggestion other than MEFilter and Spamassasin. Our platform is Windows Server 2003 Enterprise. ME Pro v1.19. Thanks!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

In regards to your questions about filtering, if you have registered Mailenable professional then you can upgrade to version 1.52 and take advantage of the new filtering option. The filters in Professional work at a global level so all filters configured will filter all postoffices. Enterprise has the ability to create filters at a postoffice level allowing more flexability.

Information on the filtering option can be found in the documentation of the latest version of Mailenable Professional 1.52 - Section "System message filtering".

Regards,

Post by Guest »

I had this same problem, and used Mail Enable's built in filtering. It works GREAT!

labsy

Post by labsy »

Filters are great.
The only thing I miss is the knowledge, how to do the following inside filter's "NOTIFY RECIPIENT/SENDER":
- how to insert line breaks in the message?
- how to insert original sender's address into notification?
- how to insert original attachment name into notification?

And a question - when are filters engaged, before MTA's AntiVirus filter, or after it?

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

There is an update to Professional Edition that should be available before the end of the week that will allow this. It specifically allows you to insert tokens into message templates that are used for notifications. It also allows you to insert things like the senders IP, size of message, SPF result, AntiVirus Result, Bayesian Filter Result (if running Ent Edition), use Phrase files for pattern matching, etc.
Regards, Andrew

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

What do you want to know about MEFilter ?

I know I have not written a manual, but appart from the very odd "wus" who moans like my old nan, most things are available online or via a quick question.

labsy

Post by labsy »

MartynK, if you are asking me, I will satisfy with next ME update :)
I only hope line breaks will be included, too

fmsupport

Post by fmsupport »

MartynK:

I have attempted several time to install MEFilter, asking on your forum and you yourself. An installer would be easier. Nothing is clear with your product.

fmsupport

Post by fmsupport »

I downloaded the upgrade 1.52, how do you enable/manage/use the filtering?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

You enable the filtering under the MTA properties. Right-click on the mta agent and click properties. In the properties window select the Antiviris/filters tab. In the list you will have to enable the "MTA message filter".

For information on how to manage the filters and how to create them, i suggest you read the latest manual included in the upgrade. Refer to the "System message filtering" section.

Regards,

fmsupport

Post by fmsupport »

Well this filter feature is nothing more than the feature provided with outlook. I am looking for an actual spam filter that updates etc..with the newest spam definition set. This would be a TON of configuring to add each individual rule. Any other suggestions?

luptona

Post by luptona »

I don't think the tokens are complete or working properly however: Here are a couple of issues I see;

1. If you use the Virus_Notify text file for instance and stick with the To: Token of [ME_SENDER] then the virus notification goes back to the SENDER even if you have selected to notify the RECIPIENT.
2. If you key in a message body of something like: "A virus was found and the message was deleted", then this text appears twice in the notification; once in the message body and once in the ME_ACTIONDESC.
3. There is no token for ME_RECIPIENT that I can find... is there? For building a template file that contains the tokens that are available, I want to notify the recipient of the original message NOT the sender.

I guess I need to see a better list of the tokens available and their functions described... the documentation doesn't cover this very well.

Any help?

UPDATE: If you key in a message in the notify recipient "Default Area", then click on use template for notification, the text in the default notification is used as the ME_ACTIONDESC token info. That's why it appears twice. If you take it out of the default, then the ME_ACTIONDESC token is blank... I would think the ACTIONDESC token would display a list of the actions that you selected such as "Notify Recipient, Delete Message"... am I wrong?