Spam filtering options

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
Kogo

Spam filtering options

Post by Kogo »

I am currently using a combination of MEFilter and "Fluffy the SMTPGuardDog" for spam filtering my MailEnable Enterprise mail server, and the combination is pretty effective.

The problem is that Fluffy does not run as a service and has not been updated in over a year. It's technique of waiting for the sending server to re-send legitimate email (the first time) is astonishingly effective.

MEFilter is good, but difficult to configure and time-consuming to tune. Also, its spam-release methods don't work for users using the webmail interface without a configured desktop mail client.

I don't mind paying a little for a good product and I'd like having ONE solution instead of two. Has anyone found a nice, easy, clean solution> What are other using?

TIA

OwenD

Re: Spam filtering options

Post by OwenD »

Kogo wrote:What are other using?

TIA
I reckon you can't go past ASSP. http://assp.sourceforge.net/
Its open source.
You can run it as a service.
I've added regular expressions to block attachments containing a CLSID so it takes care of test# 25 on http://www.webmail.us/testvirusif you want that extra peace of mind.

Code: Select all

\{[\da-fA-F]{8}(-[\da-fA-F]{4}){3}-[\da-fA-F]{12}\}
if anyone is interested.
In terms of setup with ME, it's pretty simple (Getting it running on my company's exchange server took a few extra cups of coffee though :? )
It drops spam at the handshake so your mail server load will be reduced significantly (we are currently running at 70% of all mail coming in is spam). Virus detection on the network has been reduced to nearly zero due to the fact that I have blocked all scripted mail and executable attachments. Mcaffee actually hasn't reported an infected file in the weekly reports for over three months, but I won't call 100% yet :wink: Pretty good when it's been as high as 400.

On the down side, my wife got upset when all her ebay messages got blocked (my bank manager was very happy though :lol: ) The wife won in the end :oops:

cheers,
Owen

David Payer

Re: Spam filtering options

Post by David Payer »

Kogo wrote: I don't mind paying a little for a good product and I'd like having ONE solution instead of two. Has anyone found a nice, easy, clean solution> What are other using?

TIA
Take a look at EWall (http://sssolutions.net) they have a discounted version for ME (its called their X version because he gave this license for users of XMail and some other free products).

It is a programable smtp proxy that you can control your virus protection and spam rules.

I will say that I have up on the greylisting option (reject once) as many scripts , including 'remind me of my password' types of scripts try to send directly to your server and do not make a second attempt. They will always be blocked. This caused a significant problem for me.

David P.