RFC: Self-Service mailbox creation using IIS.

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
powersg

RFC: Self-Service mailbox creation using IIS.

Post by powersg »

Hello Mailenable Proffesional Users:

Does anybody know how to or has anybody already done the following:
I wish to create some sort of "self-service" mailbox creation/ deletion to run along side ME Proffesional using IIS.

The intent is that users (Testers) will be able to create required mailboxes for use in system testing an application we work with. Part of the application historically links to email address. This means that to retest parts of the appliation, we need new email addresses. I'm now getting tired to maintaining a pool to addresses that have not been used.

I want to automate this! Does anybody have an idea on how to achieve this. I just need to somthing simple, quick and dirty.

Thanks in advance.
Steve Power

powersg

Post by powersg »

Any suggestions anyone?
Steve Power

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Would something like the web administration do in this case? If they are just testers using it to create mailboxes, they could use this. Or are you after something like a "create random" mailbox function?

powersg

Post by powersg »

No, the testers need to specify the mailbox names. All I was looking for was a kind of web page that asked for the mailbox name, postoffice name.

With that, some kind of cgi script "thing" would create what's needed. (This way I off load my admin function onto the testers :) ).

I DO NOT want to give them admin control. The mail server's configuraiotn MUST NOT be changed due to environment security requirements.

If it's not possible, then I'll put up with what i've got.
Steve Power

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The aim of the web administration is not to change the mail servers configuration, but more to managee a post office. So you can assign an administrator to a post office and let them add/remove their own mailboxes, lists, groups, etc. We've got an update to the beta almost ready which allows you to specify what they can/cannot add, and limits such as how many mailboxes the admins can add. They can't change items such as SMTP/POP configuration.

Otherwise I can post an example ASP page that will add a mailbox to a post office.

powersg

Post by powersg »

An ASP page may be a good start.

I'm not sure what the "web administration" bit is. Is it part of the proffessional edition or is it currently part of the beta code? If it's beta, I'll need to wait until this code ships and then it maybe the direction to head for.
Steve Power

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

You can find an example ASP page that will add a mailbox and emails at:

http://www.mailenable.com/developers

The web admin is currently beta, but will be included as part of the Professional version soon.