how can i change the banners

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
virus

how can i change the banners

Post by virus »

when i scan my server, it response on port 25 and 110 with 220 mydomain.com ESMTP Mail Enable SMTP Service, Version X.XXX ready...

it is possible, to change this banner to prevent hack attacks on that service? thx for replay...

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Yes,

But you will need to add a key to the registry:
Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mail Enable\Mail Enable\Connectors\SMTP
Value Name: Scramble Welcome Enabled
Value: 0=Off, 1=On
This will change the reply to:

220 {DomainName} ESMTP ready at {Current Date/Time}
Regards, Andrew

bcupps

Post by bcupps »

Ok, maybe it's just me, but I can't find that value in the registry. I even did a search on it & no luck. I'm running Standard v1.5016, and Professional v1.0008.

totomds

Post by totomds »

support wrote:Yes,

But you will need to add a key to the registry:

Hey,

You gotta add it =p its not already there!

-toto

bcupps

Post by bcupps »

Duh... guess I should read the whole post next time huh? :roll:

virus

thx a lot

Post by virus »

thx! that will help me a lot! :o

just one question again, can i change the banner, that nobody can see the domainname?
because, when i use iis5 and i don't have a default web, then its realy tricky to finde out what sites are running on that server. is that possible to change that, probably its hardcoded?

Re: thx a lot

Post by Guest »

virus wrote:thx! that will help me a lot! :o

just one question again, can i change the banner, that nobody can see the domainname?
because, when i use iis5 and i don't have a default web, then its realy tricky to finde out what sites are running on that server. is that possible to change that, probably its hardcoded?

I would also like a way to make a custom banner since we use a non-branded service and would like to hide the host from our resellers customers.

Anyone change the banner yet?.

Steven Johns

Post by Steven Johns »

in the same reg location, there is a key called "Local Domain Name" with your domain name in it. delete the contects of this key and restart your SMTP server. All that will be displayed now is "220 ESMTP ready at 11/28/02 16:23:28"

puzzled

Post by puzzled »

Steven Johns wrote:"Local Domain Name" with your domain name in it. Delete the contects of this key and restart your SMTP server.
I'd recommend against doing this. Outbound mail will go undelivered since many servers require this ID.

sunpost

Post by sunpost »

does it have to a valid domain name? i ask this because i never had a valid domain name for the Local Domain Name.

thanx.

puzzled

Post by puzzled »

Good question. Apparently not, but leaving Local Domain Name blank resulted in stalled mail to yahoo, compuserve, and other addressees. Restoring the registry entry immediately corrected the problem.
SMTP Activity Log wrote:11/30/02 17:37:19 SMTP-OU 3A071AA1B0664A34A3B19F69C8FC9.MAI 592 149.174.40.4 EHLO EHLO 501 EHLO requires domain address 0 34

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We've put a replacement SMTP service up on the link below. If you needed to change the welcome message you can use this (it is a feature of a future version). The usual beta disclaimers come with it, but I wouldn't expect any problems. Do not use this file if you are not running version 1.6 - we have not tested it with previous versions. The zip file has a registry file that enables the custom welcome message. It allows a couple of variables to be inserted, such as time and the local domain. These are added by using %LOCALDOMAIN% and %TIME% in your string. It is not advised to remove the %TIME% variable! And don't put any weird stuff there.

You can see this in the example below (this is included in the zip file).

Code: Select all

"Welcome Message"="%LOCALDOMAIN% ESMTP ready at %TIME%"
"Scramble Welcome Enabled"=dword:00000002
Download the file at:
http://www.mailenable.com/hotfix/MESMTP_Welcome.zip

To install, just stop the SMTP service, replace with new one, then start. Make a backup of the old SMTP service in case you need to revert.