Outlook vs. Outlook Express (Checking for New Messages)

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
Paul K

Outlook vs. Outlook Express (Checking for New Messages)

Post by Paul K »

Hello,

First I wanted to thank you for a very nice software package. 1st Class! I did have a question about setting the Outlook clients to automatically check for mail. I am running Windows 2000 pro-r2 with Outlook Express 6 and the Outlook that comes from the XP version of Office.

With Outlook Express I find no problems and with Outlook, I can force a send/receive just fine. It's when I set Outlook to check for mail every so often, the POP3 session times out. At first I thought it might be MailEnable hanging, but looking at the POP log files it might be Outlook that gets the OK and then just never continues.

Any ideas? Again, thanks...

DSargent

Post by DSargent »

Bump.

I too, have this exact same issue. I have a WinXP Pro client running Office XP (Outlook 2002) and more often than not, Outlook 2002 will timeout while looking for the POP connection.

It connects to the SMTP server just fine, and Outlook Express 6 (shipped with WinXP Pro) with the exact same account settings works fine.

Is there a known issue with Outlook 2002? If so, has a resolution or workaround been found?

Thanks!

Darren Sargent

DSargent

Post by DSargent »

Bump.

Does anybody have any suggestions on this issue?

Thanks!

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We're not sure of what the problem is yet, and we are working on it. If you can send your hardware configuration, POP logs from the Mail Enable\Logging\POP directory and the output from the Diagnostic utility to support@mailenable.com it will help us pinpoint the problem. If anyone else is getting this problem, please email us with the above information if you can. Thanks in advance!

DSargent

Post by DSargent »

Email is enroute! :)

DSargent

Post by DSargent »

Any new information on this one?

Thanks!

Sekhar

I have the same issue with Outlook - XP

Post by Sekhar »

Hello,

My Outlook XP doesn't work fine as Outlook Express does with MailEnable. The reason I find is that Outlook Express doesn't multitask the sending and receiving but Outlook does. May be it has something to do with this.

Here is the error I reveice whenever I ask for a sync from my Outlook.

"Task 'Postmaster - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)."

I shall be very much happy if someone could come up with a good solution.

Thanks.

Sekhar.
mail@sekhar.net

jimb

Outlook hangs when checking for mail

Post by jimb »

Ditto on the POP3 hanging -- doing a Send/Receive in Outlook on XP Pro times out.

BTW, great program! :D

Thanks,
Jim B.

Bruce

Yep Same here

Post by Bruce »

Outlook 2000 & Windows XP

I'll send the details in an email.....

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We are testing the possible fix for this now. We'll post details soon!

Rev

Well?

Post by Rev »

I'm also having this problem, it's an annoyance. I'm glad to find out it's not just something I've setup wrong.

How is it going? Any new details yet?

David K

Post by David K »

do you need more logs? people to test this issue?

BZA

ANything yet on this?

Post by BZA »

I'm having the same problem?

philg

Same Problem

Post by philg »

I have a similar situation except that the message I receive is a "-ERR Unable to lock mailbox" error. Worked fine on Outlook 2000, but after I upgraded to 2002 it "locks" or throws an error about every other time. Stopping and starting the POP service seems to clear it for one go.

philg

Same Problem

Post by philg »

I have a similar situation except that the message I receive is a "-ERR Unable to lock mailbox" error. Worked fine on Outlook 2000, but after I upgraded to 2002 it "locks" or throws an error about every other time. Stopping and starting the POP service seems to clear it for one go.