Setting up ASSP with MailEnable

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
JasonCMX

Setting up ASSP with MailEnable

Post by JasonCMX »

Many of you have mentioned that you are currently using ASSP with MailEnable.
What is your configuration?

I'm trying to understand how to setup ASSP to work on our system.

After setup, what (if any) changes do my users need to change in their mail client?

Thanks for your help.

OwenD

Re: Setting up ASSP with MailEnable

Post by OwenD »

JasonCMX wrote:Many of you have mentioned that you are currently using ASSP with MailEnable.
What is your configuration?

I'm trying to understand how to setup ASSP to work on our system.
OK,
ASSP works as a proxy. That is it must be set up to listen on port 25 so that it receives all SMTP traffic. It then examines the mail and determines if it is spam based on the mail you have moved into the SPAM and NOT SPAM folders during the training process.
If it's spam, it will drop the conversation and file the message in the spam folder (i.e. ME will never see it).
If it's not spam, it will forward it to ME (which must be set to listen on another port e.g. 2525).

So your setup will look like this.

Incoming mail
INTERNET ---> ASSP (listens on port 25) ------> ME (listens on port 2525) -----> Users retrieve via POP3

Outgoing mail
Users (send to port 25) -----> ASSP (listens on port 25) ------> ME (listens on port 2525) -------> INTERNET
JasonCMX wrote:After setup, what (if any) changes do my users need to change in their mail client?
Your users don't make any changes other than to add people to the whitelist, and to report spam/not spam errors.

You should take your time during the training period and get some feedback from your users after explaining what you are going to do because ASSP is pretty efficient and may block a lot of mail some of your users want to get.
For instance if your users shop on ebay or amazon you may need to open up your rules a bit, or put the particular user on the spam lovers list. Otherwise bidding notifications etc won't get through unless your corpus has sufficient quantities of these in the NOT SPAM folder.
I personally don't want that to be the case because I have a low volume mail server and the messages from ebay are so spammy they would contaminate it too much.

The documentation is pretty good, so you should find most of the settings fairly self explanatory.

You may need to play around a bit with the "Expression to identify redlisted mail" so that "Read Receipts" and stuff don't pollute your corpus, but the defaults work fairly well.

You will of course have to run Active Perl on your ASSP machine.
I have ASSP running as a service on the same machine that runs ME with no problems.

There is a pretty good setup available from http://www.andersonit.com/assp.html

As long as you have set it up in training mode, nothing will be blocked, just evaluated and (optionally) tagged. Train it right and you'll have little problems.
JasonCMX wrote:Thanks for your help.
No problems.

Cheers,

Owen

JasonCMX

Post by JasonCMX »

What should I put in "Accept All Mail" field? All IPs on my server?

What should I put in for "Relay Host"?
What exactly does "Local Domains" do? What is the difference between this and "Accept All Mail"?
What should I put in for "Relay Port"?

OwenD

Post by OwenD »

What should I put in "Accept All Mail" field?

The IP of your ME server e.g. 127.0.0.1 if ASSP and ME are on the same machine.
What should I put in for "Relay Host"?
nothing
What exactly does "Local Domains" do?
Addresses in these domains are considered local delivery.
You need to put in each domain you have set up in ME.
What is the difference between this and "Accept All Mail"?
Accept all mail is to designate that ASSP will relay for that server and should only be set to your ME machine.
What should I put in for "Relay Port"?
Nothing

mammdo

Post by mammdo »

It's really confusing to setup ASSP can you post and example of all the configuration settings?

Please

OwenD

Post by OwenD »

mammdo wrote:It's really confusing to setup ASSP can you post and example of all the configuration settings?

Please
See above
There is a pretty good setup available from http://www.andersonit.com/assp.html

mammdo

Post by mammdo »

It's installed, just I need help with all the options not the instalation, and that tutorial is about a combination of MS Exchange, ASSP and MailEnable Standard as SMTP only

Thanks

mammdo

Post by mammdo »

Hello, can I use a file in the option "Expression to Identify Spam"? like:

file:c:\\ASSP\\spam_phrases.txt

There is no * mark as other options

Thanks

wembley2000

re ASSP and ME Pro edition

Post by wembley2000 »

Hi
I have read quite clearly the information and tutorials about how to setup ASSP and MailEnable; however these appear to be concerning ME standard and Exchange, which I don't want to use.

Has anyone possibly got a solution or step-by-step guide on how to setup ME Pro only so that I can use ASSP?

It appears that this program is most excellent and I wish to provide this as a solution, which will come as standard, no opt it i'm affraid.

I have got ASSP working as a service but cannot appear to be setting up ME correctly, I can access the ASSP configurator.

Oh, I forgot to mention that i'm not running Windows 2003 SBE, instead i'm running Windows 2003 Web edition; this means I don't have active directory and therefore cannot get past the bits in the instructions where it wants me to setup users/aliases.

Your hopefully

Jason

mammdo

Post by mammdo »

Hello wembley2000

I'm installing an ASSP with MailEnable PRO I think that i got everything working, but i'm not really sure, thats why i'm asking for help with some options, when i get a full working ASSP I will tell you how.

I'm curently using MailEnable PRO with MEFilter with no problem, is excelent, I want to use as this;:

Internet -> ASSP - MEEnable - MEFilter - User

Regards

wembley2000

Post by wembley2000 »

Thanks Mammdo

That would be most excellent. for the time being I have turned off ASSP.

Regards

Wembley2000

mammdo

Post by mammdo »

Can I use in Local Domains File option

e:\\Program Files\\Mail Enable\\Postoffice

This?

And I have a problem with this because if one of my resellers add a domain I don't know of that, how can I mantain a the local domain file updated automatically?

And what happens if this new domain of my reseller is not on the local domains?

wembley2000

Post by wembley2000 »

To get over the problems with using ASSP, I have now simply upgraded to the Enterprise edition of MailEnable. This inlcudes Bayesian filtering, which is what ASSP does. IT WORKS WELL!

If you want to wait, the ME Pro V2.0, I beleive will have some of the same functionality and therefore it might be wise to see what the future holds for ME v2.0 rather than attempting to solve the issues with ASSP.

Regards

mammdo

Post by mammdo »

But I don't want to filter or delete, I use this ASSP because block spam, I got MEFilter and works great before i used SNIMTA

Filter email es working fine, I don't use it for the bayesian

wembley2000

Post by wembley2000 »

ME Enterprise edition bayesian filtering works the same way as ASSp, in that it works on probability of content; it does not work on filtering rules. I simply receive a report that it has been junked, after 7 days; the emails in the junk email folder are filtered through the learning process.

I used the 5,000+ emails from the ASSP spam/nospam directories to teach the system. It works without the awkwardness of setting up ASSP. Try it out?

Bayesian filtering is not the same process of creating rules agains a simple list of words of phrases; it follows the same pricple of ASSP.

Regards