Thousands of Mails stuck in InBound Folder

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
drkl

Thousands of Mails stuck in InBound Folder

Post by drkl »

I am using ME Pro 1.75.

My customers complained the he send mails to his college and his college never received the emails. Then I notice that there are thousands of mails stuck in the InBound Folder and keep on piling up, and never send out.

Then I restart the services and it is working. I happen again few hours later. Is it a bug? How to troubleshoot?

SoHoAlex

Post by SoHoAlex »

Restart a couple of times till the entire queue is gone
if there are few messages left that won't be sent at all, take a look if the corresponding message is in the map /messages/. if it's not just cut/paste those (old) message(s) to the 'bad mail' map. Restart the mail service and all should be fine again

drkl

Post by drkl »

1. You mean restart all ME services few times or restart the server?

2. Is it bug in ME Pro 1.75? What if I did not monitor & all mails will stuck in the Inbound folder and never been sent out.

3. Can it caused by my users who send out few hundred mails at one go?

SoHoAlex

Post by SoHoAlex »

drkl wrote:1. You mean restart all ME services few times or restart the server?
all ME services
2. Is it bug in ME Pro 1.75? What if I did not monitor & all mails will stuck in the Inbound folder and never been sent out.
I don't know, but I'm experiencing the same about once a month on a sever. We have built a script that checks the amounth of messages in queues/smtp/inbound and /outbound. If the amounth in inbound = > 50 or outbound = > 100 our system administrators receive an SMS, so we can deal with the situation.
3. Can it caused by my users who send out few hundred mails at one go?
I don't know, but I guess so. Most of the times when the queue gets full it's about a very big amounth of the same spam message.

drkl

Post by drkl »

Thank you.

Notice that lots of spam mails that caused the jam. All from X-Mailer: The Bat!.

Is it OK to block "The Bat!" using Message Header Filtering? Any implication?[/quote]

labsy

Post by labsy »

drkl wrote:Thank you.

Notice that lots of spam mails that caused the jam. All from X-Mailer: The Bat!.

Is it OK to block "The Bat!" using Message Header Filtering? Any implication?
[/quote]
TheBat! is mail client, just like MS Outlook. So you should NOT under any circimstances filter out messages comming from that mail client!
Windows Hosting Sollutions Provider
http://www.hostmachine.net

paarlberg

Post by paarlberg »

I have found that most of the mail sent with "The BAT" are spammer related. It has functionality that allows spammers to use it with ease.. I can't remember the details as it has been 3-4 years since I have seen the flying rodent,, but the company that was using it at the time chose it for the spamming capabilities..

labsy

Post by labsy »

paarlberg wrote:I have found that most of the mail sent with "The BAT" are spammer related...
It might be, that you do not have friends with TheBat! mail client. But it is NOT spam-fighting method to block mail based on mail client!
My spam is 60% tagged with:
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
Should I block all mail with this tag in mail header?!!!
:roll: :roll:
Windows Hosting Sollutions Provider
http://www.hostmachine.net