Pop service randomly stops

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
Enterbase

Pop service randomly stops

Post by Enterbase »

Hi,

Have Mailenable installed on a dedicate Virtual server and it works, if a little slowly, mostly ok.

However, daily the POP service randomly stops. The first I get to hear of this is when a mailbox user can't get into their mailbox and calls me.

Whilst it's only a case of going back into the console and restarting the pop service I'd like to know what keeps making it stop! It's kind of a reliability issue for all of us and I'd like to know how to fix it!

Thanks in anticipation

moose

Same here

Post by moose »

Hi,

I have the same situation here except pop3 is more random regarding when it stops (weekly on average). Also looking for help???

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

We are not aware of any current defects in regards to the POP service crashing, so ensure that you are running the latest version of MailEnable standard. You can find the latest version from the following location: http://www.mailenable.com/mailenablestandard.exe

If you are running the latest version then the best way to diagnose the problem would be to lodge a paid support request with MailEnable supplying all the relevant POP logs and a copy of your MailEnable diagnostic report so a technician can diagnose the problem. You can lodge the ticket here: http://www.mailenable.com/support/step1.asp

regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support.

DaveOnSEN

This is a REAL problem - please don't ignore

Post by DaveOnSEN »

This is a real problem with the Mail Enable service. I have Mail Enable, it was installed on my computer as part of a Dedicated Hosting package (I think bundled with Plesk). This is a problem with the product that should be corrected. If the software just stops at random times (which it does) then there is a flaw in the product and it should get fixed, not require a paid support ticket. We already paid to license a copy of this product that should work fine on an out of the box Windows 2003 server.

MP

Post by MP »

Do you see any logs in the event viewer when this happens ? If yes, can you post it ?
No problemo!

shockwaveserver

Post by shockwaveserver »

We have 3 hosting services with the same issue.

The service randomly stops once a week or one every 3 months.

This is a common problem with the MailEnable. However I think I have the last version as it is part of a control panel hosting software InsPanel.

Was this bug fixed in the latest version? I am trying to find some documentation on this site that addresses this issues however ever it seems that they (developing company) are simply not documenting it.

It is an obvious issue.

I suspect the colocation place we were previously at was not cool enough and that caused heat realted issues. That may be only part of it. So we moved the servers to a cooler place.

The other thing that may possible help that we are looking in to is finding a 3rd party software to monitor the service.

Enterbase

Post by Enterbase »

The problem is it's been bundled in with plesk. I don't use plesk at all (I use a remote desktop to work direct to a dedicated VPS server) so I am tempted to remove it. However, this will remove mailenable. I can then re-install it, but it's a big move really to cure the problem.

When it 'crashes' there is no detail in the logs and all other service remain 'up'.

I also find it's really slow to retrieve messages with mailenable. Painfully slow really. Is there a fix for both of these without the extreme need to rip it out and start again?

intvas-vpre

Post by intvas-vpre »

Same problem here. Server has been up and unning for several years now wih absolutly no problems, and all of a sudden the pop3 service crashes every couple days now. No information in ANY of the logs. This was not bundled wih anything.....stand alone MailEnable Standard.

Mr MailEnable-Ian or whoever....please stop dancing around the problem and provide some support. It has obviously been recognised by a number of users.

MailEnable Standard 1.96
Windows Server 2003
SP1

Oh...and by the way.......what is next in the signup process.....a game of where's waldo to prove I am a human being?

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

There are critical updates to MailEnable to prevent crashing/security vulnerabilities. In Ian's post he mentioned to upgrade to the latest version of MailEnable. You are runing 1.96 (Current is 1.98).

Alternatively, rather than upgrade to the current release, you should upgrade as outlined here: http://www.mailenable.com/hotfix/default.asp

If you subscribe to the update list on the MailEnable home page you will be notified of these updates. Alternatively, the RSS feed and hotfix page can be checked periodically.
Regards, Andrew

hotsoft

Post by hotsoft »

We are facing the exact same issue for about a week now. I upgraded from 1.92 to 1.981 yesterday, but this morning POP service was down again...

We run Windows 2003 Std with PLESK and the server has the same software & hardware setup for at least a year now. We are waitinig for a response from SWSOFT as well, but I think that something is seriously wrong with MailEnable...

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

We are unaware of any current defects that would cause the POP service to stop randomly as you have pointed out. So the best way to diagnose the problem would to lodge a support ticket with MailEnable and provide the relevant logs in resepct tothe times the service is stopping so that a technician can diagnose the fault.

You can lodge the ticket here: http://www.mailenable.com/support/step1.asp

regards,

MailEnable Support.

baszek

Post by baszek »

Hi,

I have the same problem here except pop3 is more random regarding when it stops (weekly on average). Also looking for help???

Nachtegaalh

Pop3 and Plesk

Post by Nachtegaalh »

Same here. for some reason a few days ago the pop3 just stops. And does this serveral times a day now!! This is the error messages

The MailEnable POP Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

We are working whitethe latetst version off plesk fo windows 8.1 on a dell server with windows 2003 web edition.

For server times ask swsoft until now no response. I think they don't now how to fix this. So no answere is better they think...duh...

But does anyone know how to fix this?

Regards

Henk

ballsauce

same thing here on 2 servers

Post by ballsauce »

We have 2 Windows 2003 Web servers with MailEnable installed and within the last 2 weeks both of them have randomly started shutting down the POP3 service. Can find no explanation in the log files, either. What the ...

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Are they patched with the hotfix mentioned in this thread?
Regards, Andrew