Emails Looping, Some Users Can't Login via Pop3, Webmail...

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
postpub

Emails Looping, Some Users Can't Login via Pop3, Webmail...

Post by postpub »

Hi,

I am having a few issues all of the sudden. I have a registered copy of Professional 2.x...Diagnostic Report wouldn't load to find out my version. Anyway, the product has been great for well over a year and all of the sudden these issues below are occuring. I haven't done anything to the server itself or installed any new products...just today I installed the ME-10036 update. ME-10034 was installed way before these issues.

1. Emails Looping - some emails are getting stuck in mailenable somehow and are being sent out to the mailboxes up to 250 times.

2. Some Users Can't Login via pop3 - prompts for password and won't authenticate even though password has been reset and is correct. Password works fine to login to webmail.

3. Once in Webmail, the reply button is grayed out. Also won't let the users download attachments.

4. Diagnostic Report won't load to find out my version!

Any thoughts??? Please assist ASAP.

Thanks,

Gary

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

To find out your version number you can run the Diagnostic Report from outside the MMC by running the following;

Start->Run->MEDIAG

If you are not running the latest version 2 release then please upgrade via the MailEnable web site.

1. Emails Looping - some emails are getting stuck in mailenable somehow and are being sent out to the mailboxes up to 250 times.
Check your queues and also your logs do the SMTP logs show the same message being sent repeatedly? Can you show us?
Some Users Can't Login via pop3 - prompts for password and won't authenticate even though password has been reset and is correct. Password works fine to login to webmail.
What are the logs saying? Is this happening to all clients? Disable the AV or any proxy on the client and see if this helps.
3. Once in Webmail, the reply button is grayed out. Also won't let the users download attachments.
Tell us more about this is the reply button greyed out for all users? Are you opening the message in a new window or in the display window? What happens when you download attachments? Again make sure any client/server side anti virus or proxy agents are disabled to rule out them being the cause.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

rockinthesixstring

Post by rockinthesixstring »

To possibilities come to mind

1) you are using ClamWin or other NON-multi threadded AV in an multi-threadded environment... the AV is locking the file and it is being duplicated

2) you have a mail group or list with its own name located within the list. a message is sent to group... group sends to users (and also group).... and the message is send over and over.
Chase
Server 2008 Standard (x64)
ME Ent 6.51 (SQL Server 2008 Config)
ASSP 1.9

postpub

Post by postpub »

Thanks for the replies. Everything seems to be working now and I did find a document on the forums to reset the MailEnable snap-in for MMC, which fixed the Diagnostic report issue.

The Email looping problem may have been external, and I am still looking into it, but things seem to be fine now and I may have had a virus. Installed NOD32 to test the server.

Is NOD32 command line scanner recommended on the pickup dir? I currently have NOD32 set to scan the whole computer excluding the MailEnable folder.

Regards,

Gary

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

Is NOD32 command line scanner recommended on the pickup dir
Probably not the recommended solution but it will work on low throughput servers the reason for this limitation is the MTA threads need to be reduced to 1 for NOD.

If you have a busy server then F-Prot, AVG or Mc Afee are better solutions.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

rockinthesixstring

Post by rockinthesixstring »

I have been in communication with the developers of NOD and they assured me that the newest release of NOD Business (or Pro or whatever) is in fact multi-threadded.

I personally do NOT like the idea of using the resident scanner in this application as you are simply running an unnecessary risk. The most cost effective solution is to find a V3.x version of F-Prot.
Chase
Server 2008 Standard (x64)
ME Ent 6.51 (SQL Server 2008 Config)
ASSP 1.9