MESpamC - MailEnable SpamAssassin Client [v 0.3.1 / 0.2.5]

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
someone_else

Post by someone_else »

json wrote:e-mails are not tagged at all, no headers from SA. What could cause this?
Well, there are many reasons why this might happen. You should try the diagnostics in MESpamC to see if it can connect to SpamAssassin. Also, check your logs on both sides to see where the problem might be.
MailEnable plugins:
DKeyEvent - DomainKeys/DKIM
MESpamC - SpamAssassin integration

json

Post by json »

The MESpamC log shows a few "errors", all right after a reset of the server. So this is certainly not the problem, as it is several e-mails almost everyday that lacks the SA headers.

I'll try and take a look at the logs on the *nix images (if I can locate it)..

/Steen

someone_else

Post by someone_else »

If it is only some messages which are not getting parsed, then the problem is likely on the SpamAssassin side. You should check your SpamAssassin logs, as there might be some problem with your setup (i.e. your SpamAssassin daemon might not be optimized for the volume of mail you are giving it).
MailEnable plugins:

FuzzyWuzzy

Post by FuzzyWuzzy »

Think there should be an option to make MeSpamC resend the msg to spamD if a certain header is missing.

someone_else

Post by someone_else »

That's what Failover is for.
MailEnable plugins:

FuzzyWuzzy

Post by FuzzyWuzzy »

How do I make it use FailOver? a few msg's get through if the spamd server is really busy a sec.
Failover seems to fail there.

someone_else

Post by someone_else »

With Failover you can specify how many times MESpamC should retry if a connection fails. Of course, if you need to use this, then you probably need to beef up your SpamAssassin server, or, better yet, add another.
MailEnable plugins:

FuzzyWuzzy

Post by FuzzyWuzzy »

The failover feature is grayed out.

What does the failover feature look fore? If it connected or if it got a spamd header?

someone_else

Post by someone_else »

The Failover option is only available in the registered version. It comes into effect if either it can't connect, or if the connection is prematurely ended.
MailEnable plugins:

rwickham

MESpamC terminated due to an exception

Post by rwickham »

getting this error in Event log:

MESpamC terminated due to an exception. EInOutError Invalid filename

This is on a Plesk server running Mailenable.

mespamcmde.exe is installed in c:\spamc and the MailEnable PostOffice pick up event is:
c:\spamc\mespamcmde.exe

In mespamcmde.log i get this:
2008/06/03 17:02:39 communication with spamd host 212.124.195.38 did not complete successfully
although in the details log I do seem to be getting a response from the spamd server:
2008/06/03 17:02:39 [domain.co.uk] -> xx.xx.xx.xx PROCESS SPAMC/1.2
2008/06/03 17:02:39 [domain.co.uk] -> xx.xx.xx.xx Content-length: 3133
[email message]
2008/06/03 17:02:39 [domain.co.uk] -> xx.xx.xx.xx
2008/06/03 17:02:39 [domain.co.uk] <- xx.xx.xx.xx SPAMD/1.1 0 EX_OK
2008/06/03 17:02:39 [domain.co.uk] <- xx.xx.xx.xx Content-length: 3521
2008/06/03 17:02:39 [domain.co.uk] <- xx.xx.xx.xx
2008/06/03 17:02:39 [domain.co.uk] || xx.xx.xx.xx

Details of my .ini file:
[SpamD]
Hosts=xx.xx.xx.xx
Port=783
Timeout=60
Failover=0
PassMEUsername=0
AllowMessagesToBeTruncated=0
LogCommunication=1

Any help appreciated

Rex W

rwickham

Post by rwickham »

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions with the problem described above:

MESpamC terminated due to an exception. EInOutError Invalid filename

regards

KelvinTang

"skip processing for these senders" option

Post by KelvinTang »

someone_else.

First of all, thank you for all the effort. This is a great tool. I have everything running perfectly, except for the ""skip processing for these senders" option. The MESpamC version is 0.3.1.0, and I have tried entering the following in the "skip processing for these senders" field:
+++++++++
1) domain.com
2) user@domain.com
3) file: C:\Program Files\MESpamC\whitelist.txt, with a single email address in the txt
+++++++++

All options are default and I have saved the settings. SpamD is running perfect with no errors. However, no matter what is entered in that field, I can't get a "X-MESpamC: skipped". The message is always processed. This field should be matching to the FROM address of a message, right? This MESpamC version has been out for a long time, and I don't suppose there is a bug on this main feature? I must be doing something wrong. Could you please shine some light on this issue?

It's much appreciated.

KelvinTang

Post by KelvinTang »

to follow up......

we will able to achieve the whitelist using the pre-SA tab's
+++++++++++
Skip SA for these senders
Skip SA for these domains
+++++++++++
We are not sure what the difference is between the MEspamC Page Skipping and the Pre-SA content page skipping. The x-mespamc status shows a different name for skipping, but no real difference in effect.

We will stick with the content filter at the moment since we cannot get the MeSpamC page sender skipping to work.

Thanks again for this great tool.

p.s. For other users, if you are creating a whitelist.txt for your skipping fields. There is no format. Just one email address per line with no commas or semi-colons or nothing. That works for us.

Cheers.

KelvinTang

Post by KelvinTang »

another follow up for the greater good...

On MeSpamC page, there are 2 skipping fields:
++++++++
Skip processing for these domains
Skip processing for these senders
++++++++

On Pre-SA Content page, there are also the 2 same skipping fields:
++++++++
Skip SA for these senders
Skip SA for these domains
++++++++

After extensive testing, we found the following:

MeSpamC page
++++++++
Skip processing for these domains - works
Skip processing for these senders - doesn't work
++++++++

Pre-SA Content page
++++++++
Skip SA for these senders -works
Skip SA for these domains - doesn't work
++++++++

So to achieve both whitelisting of senders and turning of filtering for a domain, both pages need to be used. Our whitelist for senders is set up on Pre-SA Content Page, and our list of domains that wants filtering disabled is set up on MeSpamC page.

There may be a tiny bug with the 4 fields, but at this time the work around will do the job.

Hope this is helpful for you all and for someone_else in debugging.

cheers.

someone_else

Post by someone_else »

I thought the documentation was pretty clear on these, but I suppose that may not be the case. Anyway, to quote the manual:

SkipProcessingForTheseDomains - list of recipient domains for which no processing is to be done

SkipProcessingForTheseSenders - list of sender domains for addresses for which no processing is to be done

SkipSAForTheseSenders - list of sender domains or addresses for which SpamAssassin check will be skipped

SkipSAForTheseDomains - list of recipient domains for which SpamAssassin check will be skipped

Note the difference between senders and recipients, and between 'no processing' an 'no SpamAssassin'. If you skip only SpamAssassin, then the rest of the processing (pre and post SA) will still be performed on those messages.

The '...Domains' options will obviously take a list of domains (only), while '...Senders' will take a list of domains, complete email addresses or both.

Also note that all these checks are performed against the message envelope, and not against the message itself. The envelope (aka the command file) - if you are not aware - is the actual sender/recipient list which MailEnable receives/generates and may or may not match the headers in the message itself (which are largely irrelevant).
MailEnable plugins: