IMAP + Outlook - mails appear in inbox days after being sent

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
RobinWhitehead

IMAP + Outlook - mails appear in inbox days after being sent

Post by RobinWhitehead »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem...

Sometimes when someone sends me an email to the ME server I manage, even though it is definitely there on the server (the physical file in in the Inbox folder & it also is there in the webmail portal and also can be retrieved by doing a POP3 receive), it can take days (sometimes up to a week) for the email to be pulled down by Outlook (am using 2007) so it appears in my inbox... I'll suddenly get an unread mail appear somewhere down my inbox.

Is this a known issue? I am using the latest version of ME, and my Outlook 2007 has all the latest updates (I first noticed this after the upgrade to version 3, and it has persisted through all the updates since). It is very annoying to say the least to have (sometimes critical) emails appear days after they were sent. If this is a problem with Outlook, then fine, but I need to use IMAP, so switching to POP3, or checking the webmail portal periodically are not viable solutions for me. It also seems to happen a couple of times a week, which is more frequent than I am comfortable with.

Any help/feedback would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,
Rob

RobinWhitehead

Post by RobinWhitehead »

BUMP!

Any response on this would be most appreciated...

Regards,
Rob

hamutoff

IMAP no new messages, but will retrieve SENT & web INBOX

Post by hamutoff »

I was having this problem; of the IMAP taking a long time, until - now they NEVER (been 12 days) get to me! I now NEVER get new INBOX items via IMAP even though I can get them via HTTP interface!!!

Is this because I recently installed the ME IMAP Hotfix??

I use outlook 2003 at home and at work... IMAP
The web interface works and get this, if I send an item via web interface it shows up in my imap list SENT folder in my outlook

But no new items!!! I posted with more details on this forum before I saw your post, but am not sure if your symptoms match mine:

http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.php?t=16101
Last edited by hamutoff on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

taylort

Post by taylort »

I am having this problem as well and have posted a thread. MailEnable seems to be ignoring the threads regarding this issue. Hopefully that means they are working on it, but some type of confirmation that they are at least aware of the issue would be very nice.

RobinWhitehead

Post by RobinWhitehead »

Even though this problem may seem fairly low priority (as the mails do eventually turn up), this is actually a deal breaker for me as it means I cannot rely on mail enable for critical emails (that need actioning within hours of being sent - NOT days!)... and all my clients consider their emailing needs to be this critical.

It has been 2 weeks since I posted the original forum post & I am a bit disappointed (to say the least) in the lack of official response from the ME team - even a "we know about this issue but don't know what's causing it" is better than a stoney silence...

I have already started the process of looking for a mail server replacement for ME, and when I do move (not just from a principle point of view, but also as migrating mail servers is such a painful experience), they will have lost a (up to this point) loyal (and fully paid up) customer.

taylort

Post by taylort »

RobinWhitehead wrote:Even though this problem may seem fairly low priority (as the mails do eventually turn up), this is actually a deal breaker for me as it means I cannot rely on mail enable for critical emails (that need actioning within hours of being sent - NOT days!)... and all my clients consider their emailing needs to be this critical.

It has been 2 weeks since I posted the original forum post & I am a bit disappointed (to say the least) in the lack of official response from the ME team - even a "we know about this issue but don't know what's causing it" is better than a stoney silence...

I have already started the process of looking for a mail server replacement for ME, and when I do move (not just from a principle point of view, but also as migrating mail servers is such a painful experience), they will have lost a (up to this point) loyal (and fully paid up) customer.
Unfortunately, I have come to expect this lack of response when dealing with ME on issues such as this. Some things they will respond to very quickly and release a patch for seemingly overnight. Others they just ignore.

If/when you find a replacement, please let us know what you switch to.

MrByte

Post by MrByte »

Instead of complaining about lack of responses on a USER forum, have you opened/raised a Support Ticket? These DO get more attention than the forum posts.....
.MrByte

RobinWhitehead

Post by RobinWhitehead »

Well, actually if you read the gist of my initial post I wasn't actually sure if this was a MailEnable bug or an Outlook issue, so I was just asking whether anyone else had actually seen the problem...

To be honest, it shouldn't matter how a problem is reported to a company (I run a development company myself & a bug report is a bug report), what I'm not too impressed with is that this issue seems to be ignored by MailEnable (silence is the *WORST* kind of support) - something that has been echoed by more than one other user.

I take the view that if I raise an issue (no matter where I raise it - and you may think that is ONLY A USER forum, well I disagree since it is run & hosted by MailEnable themselves, and is reached from the "SUPPORT" menu on the main MailEnable site) and it is ignored, then I will take my business elsewhere. I am a loyal customer, but only to companies that deserve/earn it by a good product AND good support...

hamutoff

IMAP trouble

Post by hamutoff »

Take it upon myself to link similar posts re IMAP trouble

http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.php?t=16133

taylort

Post by taylort »

MrByte wrote:Instead of complaining about lack of responses on a USER forum, have you opened/raised a Support Ticket? These DO get more attention than the forum posts.....
I disagree. MailEnable is well aware of this issue by now. They are choosing to ignore it and are therefore hurting their public image. If this was raised as a support ticket and they ignored it, you really have very little recourse.

On this forum everyone can see MailEnable's (lack of) response.

MrByte

Post by MrByte »

taylort wrote:
MrByte wrote:Instead of complaining about lack of responses on a USER forum, have you opened/raised a Support Ticket? These DO get more attention than the forum posts.....
I disagree. MailEnable is well aware of this issue by now. They are choosing to ignore it and are therefore hurting their public image. If this was raised as a support ticket and they ignored it, you really have very little recourse.

On this forum everyone can see MailEnable's (lack of) response.
You have a valid point. In my experience every time I had an issue and raised a support ticket it has been fixed. How and why ME chooses to reply or not on some topics escapes my wildest guesses.
Yes there is reports from more than one user, yes there is an issue, ME is probably aware and maybe even working on it. I guess even an acknowledgement on their side would be useful to everyone.
In the meantime, has one of the affected parties bothered to open a support ticket?
.MrByte

RobinWhitehead

Post by RobinWhitehead »

Right, I decided to open a support ticket for this as MailEnable were clearly ignoring the posts about this in the forum... I have to say that I was quite shocked & p!ssed off to find out that doing so would cost me $60.00 USD!! So *I'M* paying *THEM* for the priviledge of reporting a bug (which has been confirmed by more than 1 other user) to them in their mail software - mainly because they are failing to repsond in *any* way to this issue in the support forum!!

Not happy right now, but if it speeds up the resolution of this issue, then that is what counts, I suppose..

MrByte

Post by MrByte »

RobinWhitehead wrote:Right, I decided to open a support ticket for this as MailEnable were clearly ignoring the posts about this in the forum... I have to say that I was quite shocked & p!ssed off to find out that doing so would cost me $60.00 USD!! So *I'M* paying *THEM* for the priviledge of reporting a bug (which has been confirmed by more than 1 other user) to them in their mail software - mainly because they are failing to repsond in *any* way to this issue in the support forum!!

Not happy right now, but if it speeds up the resolution of this issue, then that is what counts, I suppose..

wait..... Support tickets are FREE to report defects, which this is... not sure what option you are selecting?????

You should be selecting "Class C non-paid ticket. (low priority response) [target 24 hour response]"
.MrByte

RobinWhitehead

Post by RobinWhitehead »

Ah, ok - I couldn't select the Class C with the Support Request Area I had selected & presumed that any Support Request Area option that wasn't marked as "No charge" carried a $60 cost...

Not too bothered as on closer inspection it does say I will get a refund if it turns out to be a bug... At least it will get looked at sooner...

MrByte

Post by MrByte »

RobinWhitehead wrote:... At least it will get looked at sooner...
true :)
Let us know.. As said, my experience using the support system has been good so far.
.MrByte