Reason: General Failure -- what does that mean?

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
supra2800

Reason: General Failure -- what does that mean?

Post by supra2800 »

It seems a few times every day, I receive this bounce message back:

MailEnable: Message could not be delivered to some recipients.
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

Recipient: [SMTP:*removed*@aol.ca]
Reason: General Failure

About 10 times within the past day I've received the above message, all for @aol.ca domains, but different mailboxes. It does sound like a spambot or something to me (due to the high amount of new users from @aol.ca in the timeframe). But is "general failure" a hard bounce so I can safely remove those mail addresses as users from my site or is it more like " soft bounce" so the message might be delivered at a later time?

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

You should check your SMTP Debug and Activity log files for send attempt to that address. It will have more detail as to why the message was not delivered.

The subject of the non-delivery message will also more than likely indicate if it was a delay or a failure.
Regards, Andrew

supra2800

Post by supra2800 »

The subject of the mail is "Message Delivery Failure" - but I will have a look at the logs and see what I find.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Yes, the logs will tell more. but if the subject contains "*Failure*" means perm fail - ie: giving up. If it said Delivery Delay, it would mean a delay which will be retried.
Regards, Andrew

supra2800

Post by supra2800 »

Hmm, it seems the bounce is from a mail sent on august 17th and my activity/debug logs are only kept for today. Not sure where to change this setting (using Plesk).

eliteweb

Re: Reason: General Failure -- what does that mean?

Post by eliteweb »

supra2800 wrote:It seems a few times every day, I receive this bounce message back:

MailEnable: Message could not be delivered to some recipients.
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

Recipient: [SMTP:*removed*@aol.ca]
Reason: General Failure

About 10 times within the past day I've received the above message, all for @aol.ca domains, but different mailboxes. It does sound like a spambot or something to me (due to the high amount of new users from @aol.ca in the timeframe). But is "general failure" a hard bounce so I can safely remove those mail addresses as users from my site or is it more like " soft bounce" so the message might be delivered at a later time?
Supra,

Did you figure out why this is happening. I have only used Mailenable Enterprise 4.11 for 2 days and already getting these weird replies. We just came off of Exchange 2007 and I never had this problem.

supra2800

Post by supra2800 »

I can't really remember what the outcome was. I did however, find some kind of php script trying to e-mail someone/something every now and then, a malicious script thingy.

But I'm not sure it was related to this problem, I just did a complete search on the server for the e-mail address I received all the bounce-messages for and it appeared in a php file that wasn't supposed to be there.

eliteweb

Post by eliteweb »

think I may have figured it out. In SMTP settings, turn of "Send using TLS" option. We'll see if that works.

rajen_b

Post by rajen_b »

I getting following error repeatedtly from past 3days. I have take new pop3 server for my email.Please suggest me a solution.
MailEnable: Message delivery has been delayed.

Message is waiting at makeasite.in for delivery to xx.xxxxxxxx.com.br.

The message will be retried for another 20 minutes.

Reason: Mail Server for fksrepresentacoes.com.br could not accept your email at this time. MailEnable will keep trying to deliver this message and will notify you of any progress.

Message headers follow:

Received: from henry ([122.169.245.76]) by makeasite.in with MailEnable ESMTP; Fri, 30 Apr 2010 20:58:32 +0530
Message-ID: <6E4DCC6CA81C4A8A9B61B20D199689CA@xxxxxxx.com>
To: "xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xxxxxx@xxxxxxx.com.br>
Cc: "xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xxxxxx@xxxxxxx.com.br>
"xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xxxxxx@xxxxxxx.com.br>
Subject: trail - 4
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 20:58:35 +0530
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0C47_01CAE8A7.E66F3270"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5843
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579

rajen_b

fksrepresentacoes.com.br

Post by rajen_b »

I very much annoyed with this issue, when every i am sending mails, it is returning with following error, please resolve this. I have changed my POP3 server resently.

MailEnable: Message delivery has been delayed.

Message is waiting at makeasite.in for delivery to mx.fksrepresentacoes.com.br.

The message will be retried for another 30 hours.

Reason: Mail Server for fksrepresentacoes.com.br could not accept your email at this time. MailEnable will keep trying to deliver this message and will notify you of any progress.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

You will need to trace the message within the MailEnable SMTP debug and activity logs in order to determine why the message is delayed by the remote server. Here is some help on how to track messages as they pass through MailEnable: http://www.mailenable.com/kb/viewarticl ... 020252.htm
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support