POP3 download problems with Outlook

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
oneiros667

POP3 download problems with Outlook

Post by oneiros667 »

Hi

We're running Mailenable 3.6 and host 170 or so domains for our clients, with at least 700 active accounts over all.

Some are experiencing issues downloading e-mail via pop, but there are only one or two problems per day.

The most common problem is the 'stuck' email, where a timout occurs during the pop download, and outlook starts from the beginning, and downloads the same messages over and over as it doesn't delete the messages until the end. This problem is usually resolved by removing the 'stuck' e-mail from the inbox- via webmail - where the e-mail appears to be normal.

Some other's get 'blank' e-mails. When examining the mailbox through webmail, these e-mails have attachments, but come through blank on Outlook's side.

Mailenable diagnostics don't show any errors regarding setup (Some invalid domains, and I've changed the welcome message - all other checks are green)

I have made sure that there's no on-demand scanning happening on the drive where the mail queue, config and scratch directories are stored.

What could be causing this? :?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Does MailEnable reside behind a firewall or spam gateway? Have you tried configuring Outlook to access one of the mailbox locally on the MailEnable server containing the offending messages to see if the same problem occurs. This will indicate that a firewall or spam gateway maybe be triggerring a filter on the particular message and causes the timeout.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

oneiros667

Update

Post by oneiros667 »

Hi Ian

Yes, the mail server is behind a firewall, and I bypasssed it today to test.

There seem to be less issues since doing that, but some clients running ESET NOD32 still had issues. The mail scanner needs to be set to maximum compatiability in order to work.

Will only be able to tell after a few days if all is well now.

Thanks for the advice

mammdo

Post by mammdo »

I have the same problem!! with NOD32 installed too, i will test turning off the NOD32 the next time that i get this error.

Miep

same problem!

Post by Miep »

Same problem with the standard version. This error will appear randomly but mostly if there are several HTML formated emails in de mailbox.

The error will always contain HTML parts of the email. Herewith a copy of the error.

---------
The server responded with an error. Account: 'Clubfitter', Server: 'mail.xxx.xx', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '</b><br />', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90
----------

I can only resolve it by formwarding the emails to an other account (a non mailenable account) and then delete all emails from the mailbox.

As this happens minimal once per week it is really a pain... :(

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi Miep,

Have you tried configuring an email client locally on the MailEnable server to access the mailbox containing the HTML messages to see if the same behavior occurs? Your problem maybe the result of a proxy/firewall that sits in front of the MailEnable server.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Miep

Post by Miep »

Ian,

It's a nice clean 2008 system and I'm not sure this error will appear also in other email clients then OE6. As I rather not install OE6 on it I decided to replace the client first, test some more to see if that solves the problem.

Will report back....

Miep

Post by Miep »

Ian,

Update: On the same pc where OE was having problems I installed "MS Live Mail" to receive the same email that was causing problems. "MS Live Mail" had no problems receiving that email.

Place note that if that same email was forwarded to a none mailenable email server OE could receive that same email without any problems.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: POP3 download problems with Outlook

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Strange. Have you inspected the POP log files in respect to the times the error is produced in the client for further information.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Miep

Post by Miep »

Yes, the first time it happened I checked the logs and found no entry in the any logfile.

Yesterday and today however I found the following in the debug logs:

11/13/09 09:47:55 (recv) socket [432] error during [DELE] command from host 90.4.169.247. Socket was disconnected - Error: (10054)

1/12/09 10:50:35 Failed to send socket data to remote server (error 10054).
11/12/09 10:50:35 (recv) socket [428] error during [RETR] command from host xx.xx.xx.xx. Socket was disconnected - Error: (10054)

Yesterday it was one email with a word document and today I have threee hml emails and the third is then creating the error like always.

Message number 3 could not be retrieved. Account: 'Clubfitter', Server: 'xxxlxxxx.xx', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: 've expressed interest in receiving=', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800420CD

In the Server response there will then always be a part of the email like above.

Miep

Post by Miep »

Today also the same problem with Live mail. Again the server will reply with some part of the email, mostly the reply will contain parts of the html format email.

I'll have to find a solution fast as this is getting very annoying :evil:

Miep

Post by Miep »

allmost every day problems with the pop3 downloads new are the lock file creation errors.

dcross

Post by dcross »

I'm getting now also. I have just moved servers due a hardware failure. Whilst the old server had no problems, the new install is giving me the 0x800ccc90 error, the message says "The server responded: -ERR Message unavailable"

What is going on here???

dcross

Post by dcross »

Ok I've found a workaround for my specific problem I think.

I have added the "Everyone" group with full control to the one postoffice folder having this problem and then the send\receive worked fine with no error. I remove the permission and the error comes back.

So I have run the meinstaller and used option 1 to reset the file permissions but that didn't change anything on the ACLs. So what are the correct permissions for any given postoffice?

In order to get my system working I've had to overwrite the existing non-functioning permissions and add Everyone with full control for now, but this is not ideal.

pdvd

Post by pdvd »

Hey all,

I had similar problems. For me the solution was the run these commands:

Code: Select all

CACLS "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Config" /t /e /g IME_ADMIN:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Queues" /t /e /g IME_ADMIN:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Postoffices" /t /e /g IME_ADMIN:F 
CACLS "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Queues" /t /e /g IME_SYSTEM:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Logging" /t /e /g IME_SYSTEM:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Bad Mail" /t /e /g IME_SYSTEM:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Backup" /t /e /g IME_SYSTEM:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Bin" /t /e /g IME_SYSTEM:R
CACLS "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Config" /t /e /g IME_SYSTEM:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Postoffices" /t /e /g IME_STORE_GROUP:F
(remember the change the folder names if you have installed your mailstore in a different location)

I found this in this KB article on migrating: http://www.mailenable.com/kb/Content/Ar ... D=me020073

Cheers!