blank e-mails

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
overrun

blank e-mails

Post by overrun »

I am using mailenable standard 1.9x that came with Plesk 8.x used in windows 2003.

We have been getting blank e-mails randomly. i.e. an e-mail for 5 people 4 of them receives the e-mail blank, and 1 receives it fine. It varies all the time. and I can't replicate it.

I get all the recipients and the subjects, but the e-mail body is blank, as in completely blank.

here is a source code of one of the recent mail which is blank:
<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

<head>

<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 12 (filtered medium)">
<!--[if !mso]>
<style>
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML)
<P> </P>
<BR>

<P>__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3937 (20090314) __________</P>
<BR>

<P>The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.</P>
<BR>

<P>http://www.eset.com</P>

<P> </P>
I can see everything, the to: recipients, the cc, and the subject, but not the content of the mail.

I tried upgrading the standard 1.9x to 3.62, but still the same problem.

Please i need some help... desperately :(

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

Have your tried following the email through the various SMTP, MTA etc log files and see if anything odd is happening ?

Have you got any third party MTA processes running that are doing anything in with the email ?

overrun

Post by overrun »

There is nothing unusual on the logs, really, since this happens very randomly.

The thing is, we are using a linux shared hosting service for 5 years and now that we shifted to windows 2003 / plesk because we need a dedicated server, now it happens.

I don't want to re-image the whole server but, I really can't see why on earth those mails are blanks..

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

Are you sure that Plesk does not have some form of MTA pickup event running, I thought it did ?

Just about every time this issue has been seen before is due to a third party process.

I suggest you raise a support call with ME giving them all the details and example emails.

cszeto

Post by cszeto »

Or with Plesk...
Microsoft MVP (2004 through 2008)

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

overrun wrote:There is nothing unusual on the logs, really, since this happens very randomly.

The thing is, we are using a linux shared hosting service for 5 years and now that we shifted to windows 2003 / plesk because we need a dedicated server, now it happens.

I don't want to re-image the whole server but, I really can't see why on earth those mails are blanks..
A couple of things you can try to narrow it down

1. uprade to the latest version if possible

2. are you running any Resident based Antivirus on the server? if yes, you might want to try disabling it temporarily to see if it helps

3. Also, if have MTA Event or a MTA Com Event (Plesk) running you can try disabling those temporary.

Cheers
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

mammdo

Post by mammdo »

I have the same problem! and i got ME PRO 3.61.

can you tellme if you have NOD32 runnfg on each computer that report the blank email (NOT in the server).?

I noted that this happend where

1. The mail es writed in Outlook (problems with styles)
2. Have NOD32
3. Use outlook, Outlook express or LiveMail to read POP

If you use IMAP don't habve problems
If you use thunderbird don't have problems

This problem started since Octuber 2008

I'm trying right now the following on my ME server
1. Disabled every bayesian filter (ME PRO)
2. Disabled every filter

If the problem continues i will unistall NOD32 and see what happen

overrun

Post by overrun »

@mammdo

I upgraded to ME Pro 3.61! Same problem

And yes, I am using NOD32 v.3.0.669