Webmail Screwed after 3.61 Intallation

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
ALLPRO

Webmail Screwed after 3.61 Intallation

Post by ALLPRO »

I am unable to get Webmail working again - it is one problem after another. I have clients working a film festival right now and they NEED webmail access, so I need this fixed ASAP.

Here is where I am now...

I updated to ME 3.61 last week - no problems - webmail worked fine.

Last night my Windows 2003 Server did its weekly auto-update and rebooted itself (which naturally restarted IIS, which I assume is why the problem only appeared now). This morning, I awoke to complaints from clients that webmail had an error.

ERROR #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Invalid option (enableEventValidation)
Source: <pages validateRequest="false" enableEventValidation="false">

Looked up this issue - "enableEventValidation" not supported in .NET 1.x. Rather than 'hack' the problem, I took ME advice and used MEInstaller to update Webmail to .NET 2.x, restart IIS, etc.This did not work - it didn't even change the .NET version on the webmail site. So updated the .NET version manually and restarted IIS.

ERROR #2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Service Unavailable

Tried rerunning MEInstaller again, etc. No change. Tried rolling back to .NET 1.1 using both MEInstaller and manually - no change

REINSTALLED ME 3.61. Returned to original problem. Retried all steps above. Same series of problems and errors.

Configured webmail for .NET 2.0 and *then* REINSTALLED ME 3.61 again. Returned to original problem again. Retried all steps above. Same series of problems and errors.

REINSTALLED ME 3.61 again. This time I gave up on .NET 2.0 and just changed web.config to cure the error and continue using .NET 1.1. This fixed the original error message, but now generates a new one...

ERROR #3
Server Error in '/' Application.
Parser Error
Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.
Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'MailEnable.Clients.WebMail.Global_WebMail'.
Source Error:
Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="MailEnable.Clients.WebMail.Global_WebMail" %>
Source File: D:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Bin\NETWebMail\global.asax Line: 1
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2407; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2407

When I looked up this problem, I found this response:

"Make sure the web mail interface is running under the Microsoft 2.0 framework. To set this run the "meinstaller.exe" utility located within the MailEnable BIN folder and execute option 13. When prompted by the installer choose the 2.0 framework in the dropdown menu. Once complete restart IIS and test."

http://www.mailenable.com/forum/viewtop ... 01bcd93134

So apparently the advise to just change web.config to make webmail work is wrong. According to the response above, webmail 3.61 can ONLY be used under .NET 2.0.

So this is where I'm at now. I cannot get Webmail working with either .NET 1.1.4322 OR 2.0.50727

I will continue working on this to TRY to get webmail working - somethow. I may try installing your "Legacy Skin Pack (ME 2.0) for use with ME 3.6x (ME-10037)" to see if I can make an old skin work. My priority is to get ANYTHING working so my clients on the road can function. But eventually I'd like to get it working properly (.NET 2.0) so I do not repeat the same problems the next time I upgrade ME.

Please respond ASAP. Thanks in advance.

Kevin Dalman
postmaster@allpro.net

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

.Net 2.0 is how the web mail works. Depending on what version you had before or if you didn't have any previous version you may have to set up or use ME's application pool. Let us know if you need any help configuring any of this and/or help you with the upgrade.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

ALLPRO

Yes, I'm asking for HELP

Post by ALLPRO »

rfwilliams777 wrote: Depending on what version you had before or if you didn't have any previous version you may have to set up or use ME's application pool.
I guess I was not clear... I've been using ME for many years, and have upgraded the version many times. I also upgraded from Professional to Enterprise a few years ago - specifcially to get a better webmail UI because webmail is so important to some of my clients.

So yes, I had a previous version - 3.14. It was the upgrade to 3.6.1 that caused my issue, because the webmail app changed from .NET 1.1 to 2.0. However webmail will not work with .NET 2.0 for me -- I just get "Service Unavailable".
rfwilliams777 wrote: you may have to set up or use ME's application pool.
Since I've had many versions of ME installed, I already have the MailEnableAppPool and it has worked fine for the many years.
rfwilliams777 wrote: Let us know if you need any help configuring any of this and/or help you with the upgrade.
I thought that is what I just did? That's why I provided all the details of the errors, and what I have tried so far to fix the problem. If this is not the fastest way to get support for this problem, please let me know.

I've searched your support docs for "Service Unavailable", but the only article I found does not seem applicable to my issue. So I'm looking for help getting your product working properly again.

If you require information from me, please be specific, and please ask all your questions at once so we can accellerate the troubleshooting. I am a web-application developer, and have been managing servers for 20-years, so I can tell you anything you need to know - just ask.

Thanks,

Kevin Dalman

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

I suggest that you lodge a support ticket with MailEnable under the category of "upgrade" and provide remote desktop details for the server so that a technician can login and examine the IIS and MailEnable configuration.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

ALLPRO

Problem found and fixed :)

Post by ALLPRO »

After a little research, I found the solution to my problem. Here it is in a nutshell...

When you run .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 simultaneously, you *must* run them in different Application Pools.

So BOTH the WebMail and WebAdmin sites must be updated to .NET 2.0 because both are in the MailEnableAppPool. If there is even one application in the pool running .NET 1.1, then all 2.0 apps will display "Service Unvailable"

In my case, I also had a older version of WebMail in the pool as well. Perhaps this is why MEInstaller would not update the sites properly?

So I removed the old webmail app and manually changed both WebMail and WebAdmin to 2.0 - and voila - its all good no (as far as I can tell).

So kudos to Robert Williams. Although he did not precisely identify the issue, he did identify the AppPool as the cause of the message.

I suggest you get this info into your support library, because I expect some people will surely have the same issue as I did.

Ciao,

Kevin Dalman

info@h2o-it.ch

Webmail screwed

Post by info@h2o-it.ch »

I tried your recipie for getting rid of this problem....didn't work. I got exactly the same error messages to start off. now im left with parser errors... NetWebMail.login could not be loaded.... I have other apps running in the same app pool with .net 2.0...no problem what so ever. In the technical articles I couldn't find anything. Do you have an idea?

Environment:
no AD
Windows 2003
IIS 6.0
Chris

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

ME has it's own app pool that you can run it in. However, if you're running from a version 2.x or older and jumping into version 3.x, I would recommend backing up your stuff and doing a full fresh install as to not create issues with permissions and pools. Be sure the ASP.NET tab has the proper version for whatever version you're running.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

anthonyc

Post by anthonyc »

Still having issues trying to run Mail Enable on 64-bit Win Server (using 32-.NET).

Windows Server 2003 64-bit SP2
IIS v6
Mail Enable Standard 3.63 (latest beta)

Note: the 3.63 was working fine before i switched to 32-bit .NET.

I was getting "Service Unavailable" and after applying
(Start->Run->MEInstaller.exe) option (2) to reset webmail, i now get "page cannot be found".

I have to run IIS in 32-bit mode because the site uses old 32-bit COM objects. This means it uses the 32-bit version of .NET v2.

I switched to 32-bit ASP.NET as per here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894435
------
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. Type the following command to enable the 32-bit mode:
cscript %SYSTEMDRIVE%\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil.vbs SET W3SVC/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 1
------

It looks like Web Mail doesn't like 32-bit ASP.NET on my 64-bit Windows Server.

I'm stuck.

thanks.

anthonyc

follow up post

Post by anthonyc »

Good news, all working now.

I have to say, Mail Enable support rocks -- Ian, you are AWESOME.

For anyone experience similar issues running:

- Mail Enable 3.63
- Windows Server 2003 64-bit
- IIS 6.0

It looks like a few issues were going on in my case that you may want to check.

Symptons:
"Service Unavailable"
"Page cannot be found"
"Unknown or Disabled User!"

1. If your web site uses old 32-bit controls (unrelated to Mail Enable), you will need to set your IIS to use 32-bit ASP.NET v2.x. This means you will need to ensure that Mail Enable is using ASP.NET v2.x too.

cscript %SYSTEMDRIVE%\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil.vbs SET W3SVC/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 1

2. Make sure ASP.NET v2.x (32-bit) is registered with your IIS 6.0
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/winsh ... 11033.aspx
c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.xxx\aspnet_regiis.exe -iru -enable

3. IIS, check Web Server Extensions so that ASP.NET v2 is on the list and Allowed.

4. Check permissions on C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable folder. It must have IME_ADMIN.

5. if you are restoring or using a previous version of "Config" and/or "PostOffices" (e.g. re-using or copying old the directories), then you need to check the permissions have IME_ADMIN. Basically, match the permissions from C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable. I think this was the final issue on my system.

I hope this helps others, and thanks for everyone's help with my issue.

Anthony

michi729

Re: follow up post

Post by michi729 »

Hello Anthony,

I used the whole day trying to figure out my "Unknown or Disabled User" disaster after updating.
Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with us - everything is working fine now :-)

Best regards,

Michael