MESpamC - MailEnable SpamAssassin Client [v 0.3.1 / 0.2.5]

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
KelvinTang

Post by KelvinTang »

someone_else:

Thanks for the clarification on the difference between the MeSpamc page and the pre-SA Content Page. It makes good sense. I found several other issues that are worth mentioning:

1) On the pre-SA content page, the "SkipSAForTheseDomains" takes domains as arguments. I tried with whitelist.txt file with ONE domain, then the function performs as it should. If I put 2 or more domains in the file (one on each separate line), then the skipping only works for the very top one. The test was simple: send the exact same email to the 2 supposedly skipped-SA domains. One has X-MEspamC: processed and one has X-MEspamC: skipped.

2) On a different note, this item is about the X-MEspamC: header. The situation is related to message redirection. Say the mailbox name is xxx@abc.com, and normally its messages are filtering by MEspamc + spamd properly. This mailbox has a redirection to xxx@123.com. The process is as follows:

external message sending to xxx@abc.com which redirects to xxx@123.com

The first time the message triggers the MTA event, it gets send to spamD and comes back with X-spam headers. The MEspamC then adds on X-MEspamC: processed. This part is just normal behaviour. Easy Enough. What is interesting is that when the message is being redirected. There are 2 cases:

a) if xxx@123.com is an internal address (set up on the same ME server on the same machine), then the second time this message triggers the MTA event is when it is being redirected. It gets send to spamD again. The MEspamc log reveals the following lines at the very bottom:
+++++++++
2008/09/19 21:07:49 ->spamd.server.com
------=_NextPart_000_0DC6_01C91A82.68967010--
2008/09/19 21:07:49 -> spamd.server.com
2008/09/19 21:07:49 <- spamd.server.com SPAMD/1.1 0 EX_OK
2008/09/19 21:07:49 <- spamd.server.com Content-length: 2214
(nothing after this, just stopped)
+++++++++
Since the response is not the usual response, when the message comes back MEspamC adds on the header "X-MespamC: error". I am wondering if this is the supposed behaviour by spamD to avoid duplicate scanning? If so, may be a change of the word "error" would be helpful to some users.

b) The second case is that if xxx@123.com is an external address. The message triggers the MTA again after the first pass through, and MESpamC just adds on the header "X-MEspamC: skipped (ignored)". This is the status when a domain is whitelisted on the MESpamC setting page, but there is absolutely no whitelisting of the domain 123.com. I have tripled checked. So I am again wondering if this is the supposed behaviour of this type of redirection, since a message that is being redirected must already been through the MTA once. On a side note, enabling the "check outgoing messages" and "check local messages" have no effect on this sitaution.

Thanks again for reading. If you have a little time, a clarification would be much appreciated.

p.s. My spamD is running the SAVASM VM that you have created. It is running all the defaults right out of the box. BTW, I have gone through all the settings and etc. Your thoroughness on all aspects (log rotations, clamav, sa-update etc.) are very helpful.

Cheers.

someone_else

Post by someone_else »

1. I couldn't replicate any this; in my testing, all domains in a list are processed.

2. a. You should check the SpamAssassin log; if a message reaches it, then MESpamC intends to process it; a breakup in communication will normally mean a problem on the SA end.

b. The 'ignored' tag means that it meets an exclusion criterion. Which of them, you would know best.
MailEnable plugins:
DKeyEvent - DomainKeys/DKIM
MESpamC - SpamAssassin integration

KelvinTang

Post by KelvinTang »

Thanks for the reply.

A note for other users running multiple scripts in a CMD file as your MTA event. The syntax should be:

xxxxxxxxxxx.cmd
=============
@echo off
"C:\Program Files\orginalMTA.exe" %1 %2
"C:\Program Files\MESpamC\MESpamC.exe" %1 %2
=============

There are TWO arguments, not one. Reference is here:
http://www.mailenable.com/kb/Content/Ar ... D=me020204

Works like a charm.

KelvinTang

Post by KelvinTang »

hi someone_else,

Is it Ok to set MTA pickup event > 1 (say 5) if using a VM Linux SA, instead of Win version SA? You mentioned something about that very early in this thread. Would any messages be NOT processed? We had experience with Win SA skipping messages with MTA > 5. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Cheers.

someone_else

Post by someone_else »

If your SpamAssassin server has sufficient resources, there should not be any problems with multiple clients.
MailEnable plugins:

json

Post by json »

After moving ME Pro (and VMWare + SAVASM) to a new server, I have a problem getting MESpamC + SAVASM working again.

I've just downloaded and installed the latest version of MESPamC, and the SAVASM image is the one I've had running on the the old server before.

The SAVASM is running on 192.168.2.20 and when I telnet from the Windows 2003 Web server (where the VMWare server and ME Pro is hosted), I have no problems (telnet 192.168.2.20 783). I seem to connect to the server, and after a while (30 secs?), I get a "SPAMD/1.0 76 Bad header line:".

BUT when running the setup and trying to connect, I get a timeout, and when MESpamC is being called from ME, I get this in the MESpamC log:

2009/05/10 13:30:27 connection to spamd host 192.168.2.20 timed out while waiting for the message to be processed
2009/05/10 13:30:27 communication with spamd host 192.168.2.20 did not complete successfully

Any ideas?

I've just deleted the spamd.log on SAVASM, as it was very big. It is still empty, so no help there..

someone_else

Post by someone_else »

The spamd.log shouldn't be empty - if it is, that probably means that MESpamC isn't reaching SpamAssassin at all. You might want to check your SA startup parameters, to ensure that your ME IP is allowed to connect.
MailEnable plugins:

json

Post by json »

But I'm connecting, or? With telnet? Doesn't that mean anything?

Anyway, I've been looking at the spamassassin file in etc/sysconfig, and this argument is given: -A 192.168. so that should be okay right?

someone_else

Post by someone_else »

Did you try the connection test in MESpamC?
MailEnable plugins:

json

Post by json »

In the setup app? Yes, also gives a timeout:!

someone_else

Post by someone_else »

Well, it's possible that something is blocking MESpamC from connecting. If you have any firewall on the ME machine, you might want to check that.
MailEnable plugins:

json

Post by json »

Hm.. both mespamc.exe and setup.exe is on the exception list for the firewall. What exactly does mespamc do ? Connect to the IP of the spamassassin server port 783 with tpc? udp?

I'll make a small tool that does the same to debug the problem further!

someone_else

Post by someone_else »

The connection is TCP.
MailEnable plugins:

mustkillspam

Re: MESpamC - MailEnable SpamAssassin Client [v 0.3.1 / 0.2.5]

Post by mustkillspam »

Problem!

The same mail is being checked many times over and over.
I think so because there can be many (dozens) identical Received:- and X-Spam-Prev-Subject lines in the spam.
(And i got the impression some mail simply isnt checked at all?)
I configured it so that spam should be redirected to spam@<my_domain> when the score is higher than 12.

mespamc version: 0.3.1.0

Help what is going on? How can i let every mail be checked exactly once?

mustkillspam

Re: MESpamC - MailEnable SpamAssassin Client [v 0.3.1 / 0.2.5]

Post by mustkillspam »

Eventually i solved it by using the "move" option. A problem here is that it won't move to a network share or a volume mapped to a network share. The logs say something like "could not move <mailfile> to S:\". Additional scripts will have to do it.