problem closing Outlook and releasing the process

MailEnable's Connector for Microsoft Outlook provides a rich messaging and collaborative interface to MailEnable.
wembley2000

problem closing Outlook and releasing the process

Post by wembley2000 »

Hi there

I have an issue with the release veersion of the MailEnable Connector for Outlook (MAPI). On closing Outlook, it appears that the Outlook.exe process is not being released. Thi has only occured subsequent to installing the MailEnable Connector for Outlook v1.0 (although it did in fact crash Outlook previously).

Has anyone got a possible solution to the problem?

I am running a Windows 7 Ultimate box with Outlook 2007 installed.

I also have a colleague who is running Outlook 2007 on a XP box and is crashing Outlook on closure; again this has only been happening since installing the ME Connector.

Kind regards

MailEnable
Site Admin

Re: problem closing Outlook and releasing the process

Post by MailEnable »

Current versions of the client will occasionally crash on exit if troubleshooting logging is enabled. This is an issue we are investigating.
We are not aware of any reason why the client would prevent outlook from closing. Perhaps it is a conflict with other client extensions.
Maybe try temporarily disabling the COM extension within Outlook as well as the Client Extention under the Trust Center menu item (and see if it still suspends on exit).
Regards, Andrew

wembley2000

Post by wembley2000 »

Hi there

I have unticked all COM add-ins and Extensions; however Outlook still won't close on exit.

The only solution is to disable the ME Connector for Outlook, which I don't know how to do other than when on occasion it asks me on startup. Outlook then closes with no significant problems.

Other than the standard Outlook add-ins, I have NatSpeak (Dragon), PDF Converter v5, iTunes, Dolphin Ofice add-in (currently disabled by default). Each of these should not cause a problem; oh I forgot I have Panda AntiVirus, which has never caused a problem.

Any ideas

Kind regards

wembley2000

Post by wembley2000 »

I have even loaded Outlook in Safe Mode, which has no change, still cannot close Outlook.exe as a process in Task Manager; however it does appear to be closed on the Quick Launch/System Tray.

wembley2000

Post by wembley2000 »

Hi there MailEnable

I my first post to this topic I reported a problem where a colleague's PC crashed when exiting Outlook, well with the install of MESetp120b.exe, this has now been fixed. He is running Outlook 2007 on an XP laptop

However, I am running Windows 7 and although I have now installed the 1.2beta for the ME Connector, after exiting Outlook, which by all accounts does happen, it still appears in the Task Manager even after a refresh of the list of running processes.

Oh and my colleague is running the exact same Outlook add-ins as myself includes those that are beta for other products, which do close on exiting Outlook.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kind regards

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

I have not been able to reproduce the problem on any edition of Windows or OL 2003/7.
We will continue to look for reasons why its not termianting (but it is very stange that Outlook is not terminating even when you disabled all extensions).

Maybe try the following tests for diagnosis:

1. Create a new profile configuring IMAP/SMTP to an empty MailEnable mailbox.

Then load the profile in Outlook and attempt to exit (and verify whether Outlook terminates).

2. Add a MailEnable MAPI account to the profile, exit Outlook and load the Profile again (and verify whether Outlook terminates).

3. Assuming the above does not prevent Outlook from terminating, change the accounts to have MailEnable as the default message store and restart Outlook.

Thanks
Regards, Andrew

wembley2000

Post by wembley2000 »

Hi there

Adimitadly I have been using an account that had been setup during the beta process. I will try s you suggest and report accordingly. I also have another beta add-in which has been disabled which would normally eliminate this as a possible problem.

Will test further

Regards

Jason

wembley2000

Post by wembley2000 »

Hi there

I thouhgt I would give you an update on the progress in Outlook not closing properly.

Firstly I have got Outlook opening and closing properly without the ME connector installed, however it appears that uninstalling the ME Connector using Custom and selecting all choices on each screen does in fact leave some residual items within Outlook Trust Centre Com & Extension Add-ins even though I have uninstalled. In order for me to close Outlook I have to manually remove the Com Add-in using the remove button in the Trust Centre and untick the Extensions relating to ME.

I have cleaned out the ME email account which I want to use for MAPI as to give me a clean inbox on my first synchronisation.

I will install ME Connector v1.20b as this is the latest beta and knowing that the 1.0 (or earlier) has no benefit.

I will keep you posted and read any advice you can give further.

Kind regards

Jason

wembley2000

Post by wembley2000 »

Hi there again

Right I have now installed ME Connector v1.20b and enabed the Comand Extensions for MAPI; I have also opened and closed Outlook several times and all is OK so far.

Will keep you informed

wembley2000

Post by wembley2000 »

Well i've not sorted it yet; if I setup an account using the ME Connector and MAPI, Outlook will not close properly anymore. If I delete the account, Outlook closes properly. I hope this can be sorted out soon with the next release.

For your info it is not my server because I have another user who is able to use MAPI with no problem, the only difference is that he is using a Windows XP system and I a Windows 7 system. We even have the same Outlook add-ins including other beta versions.

Kind regards

Jason

MailEnable-Nick

Post by MailEnable-Nick »

Hi Jason,

Do you have logging enabled for the connector?

Go to the configuration dialog of the MAPI connector (from a profile that has a MailEnable account, go to Tools > Account Settings and double click the MailEnable account), tick the box down the bottom to enable the advanced tabs, and go to the Troubleshooting tab. Check if logging is enabled, and if it is, disable it. Then restart Outlook, and after restarting, see if it still is crashing on exit.

We are aware of a problem with the logging that, when enabled, can cause Outlook to crash on exit. We have been trying to figure it out, but in the mean time, it would be good to confirm if this is the crash you are experiencing. It also serves as a workaround for you, as logging isn't important for regular use, really only for helping to diagnose a problem.

Thank you for the feedback,
Nick.

wembley2000

Post by wembley2000 »

Hi

Do you want the good new or the bad; i'm sory to report that disabling logging does not resolve the problem on my Windows 7 box as I can still see Outlook.exe in the Task Manager even after several refreshes and a shot wait to give the process time to close.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Jason

MailEnable-Nick

Post by MailEnable-Nick »

Well, that is bad news :(

In that case, I have something else for you to try. Please download the latest release (we released a new version with various fixes and improvements, 1.2, available now from the downloads area of the website), and enable the logging in the connector configuration as described above. You will need to put the log level to max (all the way to the right), and make sure you tick to create a new log file with each session. You can also change the default output location if you like. Next, restart Outlook.

Once Outlook has restarted, close it, and give it a little while to confirm that it is hanging around, and then open up the log file (all.log in the output location you configured in the dialog), and search for any lines that contain either "TerminateSynchronisationThread" or "WaitForSynchronisation". Copy all such lines, and paste them in here (in order) as a reply.

Thanks for your assistance,
Nick.

BraA

Post by BraA »

If you have Panda AntiVirus, try to install latest version of panda

wembley2000

Post by wembley2000 »

Thanks for your advice; I now use another Panda product, not Internet Security 2010. I forgot to report that this problem has now been fixed as of ME MAPI Connector v1.23-4 (not sure which).

With regards