Migrating from Exchange 2000 to MailEnable

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
phaines

Migrating from Exchange 2000 to MailEnable

Post by phaines »

I'm currently trying to migrate a number of user accounts, (and their existing emails), from MS Exchange 2000 to the latest version of MailEnable, via your migration utility, but am having trouble working out how to do this. Having re-read the brief documentation associated with that application, we are struggling to determine how to set it up to allow this, so could someone answer the following questions, please;

If we're using the final "Capture and create new mailbox" option, what does it mean when a login is valid? What criteria and/or rules do the users need to satisfy?

How should we configure MailEnable, the Exchange server and/or the MailEnable server so this link can work?

May I also say that the migration tool's documentation could do with more detail and information about the process, as a few lines for each option probably aren't sufficient.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Paul

MailEnable-Ben

Re: Migrating from Exchange 2000 to MailEnable

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

Have a look in this post I did a test that has the relevant steps:

http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.p ... it=utility
If we're using the final "Capture and create new mailbox" option, what does it mean when a login is valid? What criteria and/or rules do the users need to satisfy?
Let me first start by giving you a snapshot of the answer on how it works.

You configure an email client to connect to the MailEnable server this client authenticates to check their mailbox with a correct username@postoffice which on the other server will relate to the username@domain, these details are then used to connect to the remote server (Your primary server, details entered in capture utility). These details will if correct successfully connect to the old mailbox. If at this time the login fails then with the default settings in the migration utility the mailbox is not created and the authentication process fails for the client as normal. If the authentication is successful however then MailEnable will create a local mailbox, it will also create a post office, domain if required, in the case of the first mailbox of a domain. At this point the MailEnable IMAP service will connect to the primary server and pull down the messages from the old inbox folder and put them into the new MailEnable mailbox.

So "capture" means capture the authentication details and use the passthrough method and "create new mailbox" means it will create a new mailbox using these attributes if successful.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

phaines

Post by phaines »

Thanks for the response.

I'm not a network admin by trade, and we don't have anyone here who's knowledgeable on this type of migration, so we're looking for fairly simple instructions and/or explanations.

The situation we're in is we have the two test servers, (a 2000 server with exchange on it, and a later 64-bit server for Mail Enable). The exchange one has a number of users, ("User1", "User2", etc.), with email accounts, (e.g. "User1@domain"). Whilst Mail Enable has been installed with a post-office of the same name.
We then set up Mail Enable to migrate with the "capture and create" option, but when we log into Mail Enable as the "User1" account with the same password, it simply shows the "authentication failed" message. We've tried it with and without mailboxes, but neither seemed to work.
Also note that no "Migrate" or "Capture" folders are created under "Mail Enable\Config", so it appears that nothing is happening at all.

Do we need to create either a domain and/or a mailbox for the user in Mail Enable first, before this will migrate? Or does something else need to be set-up in Mail Enable for this to work?
Is there a way to verify that Mail Enable can communicate with the exchange server? In case this is the issue.

Also, does it matter that these are virtual machines running the trial version? If this trial works, then we're intending to purchase the full enterprise edition to perform the actual migration process.

Paul

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

Some things to test:

1. Make sure you can get from your MailEnable server to the Exchange server over port 143 (and port 110 if you select POP for the passthrough authentication). I like to use the IMAP service becuause this is the way that the messages are migrated over anyway. The way to test this is to use the telnet client command on the MailEnable server and test connection to the Exchange server using the following command in a command prompt:

telnet ExchangeServerIP 143

You should get a response something like this:

* OK Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 IMAP4rev1 server version 6.5.7638.1 (SERVER.
domain.com) ready.

2. Make sure when you are authenticating that you are doing so against the MailEnable server. You should setup an Outlook email client for IMAP and connect to the MailENable server. This will then, when the migration utility is enabled try and authenticate against the Exchange server and where successful create the details in MailEnable.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

phaines

Post by phaines »

Thanks for the guidance, and your point (1) produced a successful response through telnet.
MailEnable-Ben wrote:2. Make sure when you are authenticating that you are doing so against the MailEnable server. You should setup an Outlook email client for IMAP and connect to the MailENable server. This will then, when the migration utility is enabled try and authenticate against the Exchange server and where successful create the details in MailEnable.
I'm a little confused regarding this second point; do I need to install an email client on the MailEnable server? (E.g. outlook). Or should it be on the exchange server? If it's the former, do I then need the client linked to the exchange server for where to save its emails to?
If you can provide me with the steps needed to set this up, then I can ask one of our IT network team to help me with any details.

Thanks,
Paul

nowhere

Post by nowhere »

Hi,
it is really easy!

At the ME-Server (MailEnable) you start the Migration Capture Utility click on the Configure Button, select the Auth Protocoll (IMAP is preffered), enter the IP Adress or Hostname of your Exchange Server (Remote Host) and the Remte Port (143 if you have selected IMAP)
Press OK

Next select the last Option (Capture and create ...)
Also set the checkbox at the Message Migration options ,...
Click Save, restart the services
No, ME is ready to go

Next step:
Verify that you are able to connect to your Exchange server.
Open a command line at your ME Server. type: telnet IP-Address or hostname of your Exchange Server 143
f.e
telnet 192.168.0.1 143
You should became a connect.
If you don´t get a connect you have to fix the config at the exchange server

Next step:
At a client add the credentials of the ME Server.
f.e.
IMAP/POP/SMTP: Hostname of IP of ME Server
Username: the username of the User at the Exchange Server
Passwort: the password of the User at the Exchange

What happens:
The Mailclient authenticate to the ME Server. 1st ME Server don´t have the user. Because of the Migration Config ME is like a proxy and forwards the auth credentials to the exchange server. If ME is able to auth to exchange with the credentials provided by the mailclient ME creates the useraccount at ME.

This is the magic

Regards
Alois

Sorry for my bad englisch

phaines

Post by phaines »

Thanks for the explanation, but we're having problems with the very final step, (authenticating the user on the exchange server). We've completed all of the previous steps, according to what you've said and even the telnet command passes with a successful connection.

Therefore if someone has any advice about troubleshooting the authentication part, then I'd be grateful.

Paul

nowhere

Post by nowhere »

You can try to connect directly to your exchange server by using a mailclient like Outlook Express and add a IMAP account to this mailer.
If your ablo to connect to you are fine.
If not you have to configure the settings at your exchange server.

Reagrds

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

Also what happens if you try to authenticate using telnet? Use the following commands and see if your Exchange server is accepting plain text authentication, also not sure if it is already mentioned make sure your test account does not have any special characters in the password:

telnet mailserver 143

Then

* OK IMAP4rev1 server ready at 03/02/11 20:18:38
01 login username password

You should get the following afterwards:

OK LOGIN completed
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

phaines

Post by phaines »

MailEnable-Ben wrote:Also what happens if you try to authenticate using telnet? Use the following commands and see if your Exchange server is accepting plain text authentication, also not sure if it is already mentioned make sure your test account does not have any special characters in the password:

You should get the following afterwards:

OK LOGIN completed
Have tried this and the user account is logging in successfully via telnet. Also note that we've been able to set up Outlook WebMail to use the same account, on this MailEnable server, and that works as well.

When trying to log in, what username should we use? Is it the "MailEnable"-style one, (with domain)? The standard windows account name?